Choices for regs in certain price range

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive Atomics (M1, B1, Z1, Ti2), and I'm not so sure they are worth it. They are very expensive to service.

Scubapro makes an Apeks knockoff that breathes just as well as my Atomics down to 100 ft. Haven't taken one down further than that, It's made in Italy, just like Scubapro.

You can get setup with first and second stage with octopus for a little over $200. The maintenance kits cost about $12 and anyone that works on Apeks can work on this setup.

That's just one of the really good knockoffs available out there. If I was getting setup right now, I would definately also try out HOG and Hollis and any other off brand out there.

I guess I'm getting to the age where getting top value is more important than the bling. As far as safety goes, proper maintenance trumps name brand every day of the week.

It costs me as much to service both my M1's (two 1st stages, two 2nd stages) as it does to service my Oceanics and my Dive Rites. Actually, it costs me half as much - because I only have to service them once every two years, or every 300 dives.

It's not free, but it's not exorbitant.

I own Scubapro and will keep on buying Scubapro because I can, however I would really consider making the switch to Atomic if need be. I have owned Mares, Oceanic, Hollis, and currenly use Dive Rite for deco; however none of these don't even compare in my opinion to Scubapro. I have even tried a HOG, and it breathe no different than my Dive Rite deco regs, but I can tell a difference between my Scubapro and Dive Rite.

I dive Atomics (M1, B1, Z1, Ti2), and I'm not so sure they are worth it. They are very expensive to service.

Scubapro makes an Apeks knockoff that breathes just as well as my Atomics down to 100 ft. Haven't taken one down further than that, It's made in Italy, just like Scubapro.

You can get setup with first and second stage with octopus for a little over $200. The maintenance kits cost about $12 and anyone that works on Apeks can work on this setup.

That's just one of the really good knockoffs available out there. If I was getting setup right now, I would definately also try out HOG and Hollis and any other off brand out there.

I guess I'm getting to the age where getting top value is more important than the bling. As far as safety goes, proper maintenance trumps name brand every day of the week.

What?? Scubapro makes a Apeks knok off. This is the first time I heard it. And tell me where you can get a such a setup for $200 including 1st, 2nd and octo. Even with HOG, I think you are looking at $350

And $12 for maintainance kit is for what? How about labor? My guess is the part for one 2nd stage only. Just FYI, Atomic 2nd stage kit is about the same price. Atomic 1st stage part is $25 I think.

So here is my take on the service cost. Here, my shop charge ~$75 for labor for a 1st+2nd+octo. For atomic, part will be $50. so $125 for every two years. For oceanic/aeris/hollis, they give you free part, but you need to do service every year. So $75 per year => $150 for every two years. So while Atomic can be more expansive per serivce, but you only it half as often. As long as labor cost dominate the reg service cost, I will pay for part for every two year rather than get free parts every year.

So his SP was that much out of tune? He should have bought an Atomic regulator.

No, his SPs are kept maintained. Also, I use Atomics, and I can tell no difference between my regs and his SPs. Actually between our HOG, DR, SP, and AA regs, the only one that sucks is my SP MK2 that is used for O2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom