Choice Of Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ Wreck Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering what people prefer in regulators ATOMIC, APEKS, POSIEDEN, MARES
AQUA LUNG?

I happen to own multiple sets of DiveRite regs as well as an Aqualung LX. On that same note, I've sold 4 sets of Salvo regs this month.

Get what you can afford. One thing to consider is diaphram vs. piston. It is more difficult to service a piston reg. Something to consider if you do a lot of travel diving.

I use piston Scubapro first stages (Mk20 and MK25) and Apeks (FSR - diaphragm). Am looking forward to trying a Scubapro diaphragm first stage (MK17) in the future.

Disagree with the servicing difficulty. I think that you will find that whoever owns a Mares will recommend them, whoever owns scubapro will recommend them, etc. etc.

Each of the brands is reputable, so it is more about what type of environment/depths you will be diving in (cold, salt) and what features you will benefit from (venturi, adjustment, swivel turret). Then I would also take into consideration, price and serviceability. Most people discount service, but no matter how cheap the reg is if you have to pay parts or go out of your way to service the reg it is not worh your while.
hope this helps...

double80s:
... One thing to consider is diaphram vs. piston. It is more difficult to service a piston reg. Something to consider if you do a lot of travel diving.

Uh, no. The easiest regulator in the world to service is a Sherwood piston reg. In fact, I think PADI should use the tear-down and rebuild of a Sherwood unbalanced first stage as their demonstration for narcosis in their "deep" AOW dive. It's easier than writing your name.

rescuediver009:
Disagree with the servicing difficulty. I think that you will find that whoever owns a Mares will recommend them, whoever owns scubapro will recommend them, etc. etc.

Each of the brands is reputable, so it is more about what type of environment/depths you will be diving in (cold, salt) and what features you will benefit from (venturi, adjustment, swivel turret). Then I would also take into consideration, price and serviceability. Most people discount service, but no matter how cheap the reg is if you have to pay parts or go out of your way to service the reg it is not worh your while.
hope this helps...

That said, I would steer away from Poseidon unless you have a reputable dealer in the area who's been dealing in Poseidon for a while and plans to keep the business. I had two until I got my bill for the first annual service....eBay...

Zaphod:
Uh, no. The easiest regulator in the world to service is a Sherwood piston reg. In fact, I think PADI should use the tear-down and rebuild of a Sherwood unbalanced first stage as their demonstration for narcosis in their "deep" AOW dive. It's easier than writing your name.

HAH!

agreed! any regulator that requires the use of the phrase "hand me that giant wrench over there" while servicing it is okay in my book

at least the tool doesn't look like some torture device

I have used ATOMICs for all my certification and my first 10 times diving. Then when it was time to buy my own gear I bought DiveRite Regs and love them!!!

I own an Atomic. During my OW cert I rented an Aqualung Legend. My g/f uses a SP G250 /MK25 and I've used it quite a few times as well. As far as breathability I think all 3 are great and comparable. The Atomic 2nd stage seems lighter to me and just felt more comfortable. (I'm not sure about weight differences between the 3. Could just be me) I decided on the Atomic. No regrets what so ever!!!

Zaphod:
That pretty much applies to any unbalanaced flow by piston design. The Scubapro MK 2, MK 3, MK 200, Mk 2 Plus, older Aqualung Calypso, etc all fall into that category of having only one moving part, 2 dynamic 0-rings, a seat and a filter to replace at annual service.

I am pretty sure I could train a chimp to do an annual service on one.

Back
Top Bottom