Chinese Vs. American Made Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urmaddad

Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a new wetsuit. What I have found is that wetsuits made in China are about half the price of American made wetsuits. My interest is in purchasing a 6 or 7 mm suit for Northern California waters. Is the quality of the Chinese made suits as good as the American made suits? Does anyone have any experience with these?
urmaddad

Not all wetsuits made in the USA are of the same quality, so my educated guess is that it would be a case-by-case situation with those made in different factories in China. I know I've dived with equipment stamped "Made in China" but don't specifically remember any quality-related issues. Of course they were made to standards set by companies here in the States and other countries.

One nice feature about the wetsuits made in China is that they already contain a bit of lead, so you can take a few pounds off your weight belt when you dive one. Just teasing.

One nice feature about the wetsuits made in China is that they already contain a bit of lead, so you can take a few pounds off your weight belt when you dive one. Just teasing.[/QUOTE]

Nice one! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I am thinking about buying a new wetsuit. What I have found is that wetsuits made in China are about half the price of American made wetsuits. My interest is in purchasing a 6 or 7 mm suit for Northern California waters. Is the quality of the Chinese made suits as good as the American made suits? Does anyone have any experience with these?
urmaddad
Hello Tony from Coral Reef Wetsuits made in Usa Here. We have been building wetsuits and repairing them for over 30 years, the Chinese suits ar OK, but they break down within a couple of years, Also we make custom fitted suits that fit your body perfectly, imports are cookie cutters. there are technikes that American manufactures do that will make your suit last almost indefinitely, ask people you meet diving to check out the imports befor you buy if you haven't yet. check out our site coral reef wetsuits or call 714 894 3483 Closed Mondays. Mahalo Tony

A good rule to follow concerning dive gear -> You will never regret buying quality.

The 2 wet suits I currently use are made by Creesi. 1 is 7 years old, the other is 5 years old. I don't coddle equipment, if it's not quality, it won't last. Both are quality suits, & yes, both have a "made in China" stamp. If I can get the Lontra to stop shrinking I should get a few more years out of it.

I looked through my stable of wet suites.

The only one I feel is substandard (Henderson Neosport) is made in China.
Of course, my Aqalung SolAfx is also made in China, yet it is a great suit.
So is my IST is made in China.
My Pinnicals are made in the Phillipines
My Bare is made in Thailand

No doubt you may find an American boutique manufacturer the makes a better suit for a higher price, but for most of us are using Asian suites made to American specification.

My Tilos wetsuits, which have been real performers, are made in Taiwan I believe.

My Oneill 7mil (which I havent touched since I went dry BTW) is China. I've dove it since 2001 with very little compression. I think "quality" is more the matter of concern than land of MFG. But... I am willing to pay more for American made goods.

My recommendation is that you go dry. You have been diving, or atleast posting about it, for more than two years. Diving dry will find you in the water more often and more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom