Quickly declining wetsuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it’s a defective batch of neoprene?
It could also be that the glue they used to laminate the nylon to the rubber is different now from what they used in years past.
Why don’t you contact Bare and see if there is anybody in customer service that might have an answer for you, or maybe they’ve had other complaints? I’ve heard of neoprene smashing out and getting thin, getting stiff from age, fading and cracking from being really old, but not falling apart as soon as you you describe. They might be glad to know about this problem.

Nope, no washing machine.
Well I’m sure I will be tossed into ScubaBoard purgatory, but my BARE Velocity 5mm has never seen anything but a washing machine.

After our last dive of a trip, I’d soak them (my wife dives a Henderson) in fresh water and hang them out to dry.

Once we got home, she’d put them both in the washer and run through a normal cycle.

We’d then hang them up to dry.

Not a single split seam.

@Eric Sedletzky I took your advice and sent an email off to Bare. I’ll let you know what I hear back. I’ll probably end up getting another Bare, as this seems to be an anomaly.

Erik
I agree with the anomaly, as I also have a BARE 3mm Velocity, and have treated it just like I did the 5mm, and the 3mm is still intact, as well.

I contacted Bare yesterday morning, about
7 am, and was very impressed with how quickly they responded! I had an email from them at 10:10 am, 8:10 am their time. They asked me to send photos, which I did, and heard back about 2 hours later. Unfortunately, I am still uncertain about what caused the problem. They said that this type of damage is usually caused by excessive use in pool/chlorinated water (I’ve never had it in a pool, though I do soak it in city water, as I’m sure many people do), or extreme heat. So…. I don’t know.

Thanks for everyone’s responses,

Erik

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpeg
    IMG_2355.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2356.jpeg
    IMG_2356.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 51
I contacted Bare yesterday morning, about
7 am, and was very impressed with how quickly they responded! I had an email from them at 10:10 am, 8:10 am their time. They asked me to send photos, which I did, and heard back about 2 hours later. Unfortunately, I am still uncertain about what caused the problem. They said that this type of damage is usually caused by excessive use in pool/chlorinated water (I’ve never had it in a pool, though I do soak it in city water, as I’m sure many people do), or extreme heat. So…. I don’t know.

Thanks for everyone’s responses,

Erik
Good Luck!

Hopefully BARE will stand up and do the right thing.

i had a problem at the throat area with a Bare 3mm, first the shop complained about wrong handling, than i called the europe dealer and got it replaced. but it happend 8 weeks after i bought it.

I do not think there is a warranty on how long a suit should last. There are too many variables in use and aftercare. I consider wetsuits to be a consumable item. After a few seasons they are usually stretched out, the Lycra/Nylon is delaminating, the neoprene is crushed and wear areas are raw. And this whether custom or cheapo off Amazon.

I do not think there is a warranty on how long a suit should last. There are too many variables in use and aftercare. I consider wetsuits to be a consumable item. After a few seasons they are usually stretched out, the Lycra/Nylon is delaminating, the neoprene is crushed and wear areas are raw. And this whether custom or cheapo off Amazon.
Well, there *might* be warrantee.
Each company is different and some will cover manufacturing defects. I don’t know if delaminating nylon from the rubber is considered a manufacturing defect by the builder. The builder and manufacturer of the material are usually two different entities. In fact there might be three parties involved. I don’t know how Bare works, they probably build their own stuff since that’s what they do. But someone like Aqualung or Scubapro probably farms out the build to some one, and that company buys bulk material from someone else. Ultimately when it comes to problems with the actual material and not seams coming apart, it’s the maker of the material that did something wrong.
So someone somewhere will be eating this, hopefully it will not be the OP.
What’s kind if scary is who else might be using that same material and just having their name put on it?
I personally have never seen nylon delaminate like that (I’ve heard if it), and I’m the wetsuit king.
I think it was a bad batch of glue and the problem is the manufacturer of the material. But most material comes from China so good luck with that. It’s up to Bare to decide if they want to eat that wetsuit or kick the customer loose.

I like my bare 3/2 wet suit, but it hasn't been very durable

and the zippered ankles don't work well with spring or fall water skiing and the boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom