Chilblains

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well after diving on the weekend one of my fingers swelled up, got these red marks and was very sore to touch. I dived again on Tuesday and it got more puffy and swollen. Anyway, I went to get it checked out and have chilblains... I guess it is from doing long dives (70-100mins) in coldish water (it is about 10C/50F) with thin gloves with holes in the finger tips and perhaps having fairly tight wrist seals did not help. Does that sound right? I haven't been cold at any other time than diving, never had them before, circulation is fine. I have some stuff for it now and so on, no big drama but I was wondering:

Can I just keep diving? I dive a lot and don't really want to not dive... So will it keep making them a lot worse? I can pretty much put up with one sore finger as long as it isn't going to fall off if I keep diving or something, or start happening to other fingers.

I have no experience with chilblains. However, it would make sense to try to minimize cold exposure to your hands. If you are already using a drysuit, you should consider getting drygloves. At 50°F water temps, I know that drygloves increase my comfort level (and dexterity) significantly. The Viking Bayonet dryglove system represents my best $100 scuba purchase since getting a drysuit. Hope this helps...

Yes I will buy a new set of gloves at least... but not sold on dry gloves. I don't really notice the cold in my hands until I get out (doesn't get below 48F here). Also when I tried drygloves one day I found them way less dexterous than my 5mm Northern Diver neoprene ones, is this normal? Can you run line easily in dry gloves too?

Can I just keep diving? I dive a lot and don't really want to not dive... So will it keep making them a lot worse? I can pretty much put up with one sore finger as long as it isn't going to fall off if I keep diving or something, or start happening to other fingers.

Hi Saspotato,

Chilblains (perniosis) are painful and look angry, but in general they cause little or no permanent damage. Provided there are no circulatory issues that progress, there is no compelling reason to suspect that other fingers will become involved.

Of course keeping the hands and fingers warm, and preferably dry, is going to give you optimal prevention. Apparently wearing thin gloves with holes in them for diving in 48-50 degree water is insufficient in your case.

Also, you indicate you sometimes run line while diving. For circulatory efficiency, it is prudent to keep pressure on the affected finger(s) to a minimum.

A chilblain may dry out, cracking the skin and leaving it vulnerable to infection. Keep the affected area well moisturized. Also, steroidal creams can be applied to reduce itching and swelling.

Exercise regularly for good general circulation and if you're a smoker seriously consider shaking the habit.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Thanks DocVikingo. Good to know! I haven't had any other symptoms of circulatory problems so I won't worry unless it keeps reoccuring.

Tonight I got new gloves and did a short dive of 45mins (50f) to see how it felt and it hadn't got any worse after like it did after the last dive. One thing that I always do is put on the car heater to warm myself up or put my hands in warm water (as they feel cold as soon as I get out of the water) after a dive... which I think probably didn't help as there would be rapid changes in temperature. So I'll avoid doing that as well.

It sounds about right although I've not seen chilblains swell to much. Usually, they are small, painful pimples. So, I would also be wondering about a secondary infection.
I fell on fire coral in Bonaire and got a terrible hand infection secondary to the open wounds from the coral.
Dishydrotic eczema can be another thing that can look and act like chilblains. Often seen with cold and stress. Again, any open wound can become infected and there are Weird bacterias in salt water. If they are draining at all, see if your doctor can culture them.

Yes I will buy a new set of gloves at least... but not sold on dry gloves. I don't really notice the cold in my hands until I get out (doesn't get below 48F here). Also when I tried drygloves one day I found them way less dexterous than my 5mm Northern Diver neoprene ones, is this normal? Can you run line easily in dry gloves too?
I'm curious which drygloves you tried. Did the gloves have a way to equalize the pressure with the inside of your suit? Many dryglove systems, such as the Viking Bayonet system I mentioned earlier, use the Atlas gloves. The Viking Bayonet system consists of suit-side friction-mount rings that can be used with any latex wrist seals and glove-side rings which twist and lock into place, creating an o-ring seal. I highly recommend trying a combination of the thin, double-dipped Atlas 620 gloves with some fleece or wool glove liners.

IMO, water temps lower than 60°F warrant drygloves. I've found that with the right dryglove system, I actually have much more dexterity than with any 5mm wetsuit glove. YMMV. With drygloves, yes, you can run line or push tiny camera buttons. FWIW, cave and wreck divers routinely use drygloves while running line. For diving in the water temps that you discussed with long run times and in the context of your affliction with chilblains, drygloves seem like the ideal solution.

If you started a new thread about selecting a good dryglove system for use with your drysuit, I'm sure that the SB community would have several helpful suggestions.

Good luck with everything.

I'm curious which drygloves you tried. Did the gloves have a way to equalize the pressure with the inside of your suit? Many dryglove systems, such as the Viking Bayonet system I mentioned earlier, use the Atlas gloves. The Viking Bayonet system consists of suit-side friction-mount rings that can be used with any latex wrist seals and glove-side rings which twist and lock into place, creating an o-ring seal. I highly recommend trying a combination of the thin, double-dipped Atlas 620 gloves with some fleece or wool glove liners.

Oh sorry I should have been clearer. A friend offered me to try some out with her suit (not sure what brand sorry! but basically they were like dish washing gloves, with a furry glove underneath and it locked onto these ring things in the arms) so I put them on and find them so clumsy and uncomfortable I didn't wear them in the water. But after your post I asked a friend about them and they said that feeling disappears underwater...

IMO, water temps lower than 60°F warrant drygloves. I've found that with the right dryglove system, I actually have much more dexterity than with any 5mm wetsuit glove. YMMV. With drygloves, yes, you can run line or push tiny camera buttons. FWIW, cave and wreck divers routinely use drygloves while running line. For diving in the water temps that you discussed with long run times and in the context of your affliction with chilblains, drygloves seem like the ideal solution.

Yea I might start looking into it... See if I can borrow a setup to see what it feels like actually underwater.

Back
Top Bottom