Chewed up and spit out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I get task loaded. For example: rush off a boat, current headed backwards, buddy negative dropped. By the time I'm properly 20ft deep if my mask flooded, I'd find it took more effort and caused more distress than if the events leading up to it were all smooth and easy.

In this dive, the issues were all environmental factors related. The silt, the surge and the viz. With better skills it could have been a fine dive, with better planning or technique. It's divable conditions for someone, just not me comfortably on that practical day.

Another angle, soome of my friends are superstitious, 3 bad omens and the fates decree we shouldn't dive (or hunt, or travel or do an activity)... I tend to think there's practical wisdom in the old beliefs. When "everything" starts going wrong, panic isn't far away. Nice to be comfortably back on shore before reaching that point.

Looking back on my dive, I semi "called it" when I took shelter to reorient myself, that time off to pause I use to reset myself (clear my buffer, catch my breath, dust out the cobwebs, silence the monkey) and start the dive fresh again.... Even though I'm still underwater, water is home. It's a technique I use frequently to stage my dive plans. Check points, resetting focus.

Interesting discussion!

Maybe that's a version.
Cameron

Yeah I count the omens too. They still impact your mental attitude. And as you say once panic kicks in all bets are off.

Shore dives look so benign even with a little bit of surf but with anything heavy like twins, scooter, etc. things can get surprisingly hairy (like your described) very easily and quickly. Even exiting in medium surf can be a total bitch and the exhaustion of battling battling it even in 3 ft of water shouldn’t be discounted.

And actually being exhausted from carrying/walking/hiking kit to water before I get in I also consider an event.

Well done for OP for maintaining composure and not losing a finger or two

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom