Chestmount CCR Bailout Configuration Backmount/ Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NauticalNerd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello,

I used to dive with an Inspiration and have recently added a Triton. I like to dive double 12 and sidemount with steel and aluminum tanks and am looking for a configuration that is as standardized as possible for both.

So far I have only dived the Triton with air as a dilluent up to 40-50m. Then I used the double 12 or one of the two sidemount cylinders as a bailout. Then I added a 40 cuft with 100% O2 for deco in the bailout case.

Now I was wondering whether there is a sensible and good configuration that I can use for 60 - 100 meter trimix dives that works for both sidemount and backmount.

For example, a 40 cuft with 15/55 or 10/70 on the left and then 100% O2 on the right.

Alternatively, I could also attach a small cylinder with dilluent to the double unit on the left and then attach it to my sidemount equipment parallel to the lead system. But then I would have to take another bailout with me for the depth.

Perhaps someone might like to post their backmount and sidemount configurations for the Triton, maybe I'll find some inspiration there.

Thank you very much and I'm looking forward to it!

I am sure this topic will spark some harsh comments based on what I have seen a recent thread on a similar topic: Question - Bailout gas configs for tech/deep chestmount rebreathers

I am diving a ChOptima but for the purpose of the gas choices, it should not make a difference. This is my gas plan for a 100m dive (all sidemounted independent tanks):
  • 10/70 in AL80 (Dil/BO)
  • 21/35 in AL80 (BO)
  • 50% in AL80 (BO)
  • O2 in AL80 (BO)
  • O2 in AL13 (feed to solenoid)
More on my setup here: Question - Bailout gas configs for tech/deep chestmount rebreathers

I am sure this topic will spark some harsh comments based on what I have seen a recent thread on a similar topic: Question - Bailout gas configs for tech/deep chestmount rebreathers

I am diving a ChOptima but for the purpose of the gas choices, it should not make a difference. This is my gas plan for a 100m dive (all sidemounted independent tanks):
  • 10/70 in AL80 (Dil/BO)
  • 21/35 in AL80 (BO)
  • 50% in AL80 (BO)
  • O2 in AL80 (BO)
  • O2 in AL13 (feed to solenoid)
More on my setup here: Question - Bailout gas configs for tech/deep chestmount rebreathers
If you lost your 10/70 at depth, what would you do?

Edit: You already answered this at the other topic. Can be ignored.

If you lost your 10/70 at depth, what would you do?

Edit: You already answered this at the other topic. Can be ignored.
Please take this as just my way of doing it today. By no mean this is the best way. I shared so that others can learn from it and I can learn from others' comments.

While I am not doing it yet myself, some are, and others are curious how this develops.
It seems a big question is what to put on your back--if anything--and how to configure that.

Approaches could be:
  1. Do it all as sidemount/trailed cylinders, with nothing on your back. Some think this would be busy and crammed, some say they do it. Gas switches would also be harder/longer/riskier/more work. It could be more likely to mix up and confuse cylinders during a real bailout situation.
  2. Make your backmount gas be actual bottom mix (like 10/70), and add on other necessary stages. Do you need a full twinset of 10/70? Probably not. It could be a mini-twinset, some say, or even a single cylinder on the back.
  3. Just keep a standard 'Mod2+' OC twinset foundation, perhaps an existing 15/55 twinset, add on a chestmount CCR, and maybe an extra cylinder of deep dilout mix if you want to go past 70-80 metres (discussion here)
  4. Consider backmount double cylinders but without a manifold, then you could have both a deep mix and a travel mix on your back. Your regulator protocol would need to depart from standard twinset open circuit training, since now the regs are different gases. Also affects how you donate gas.
  5. Put a standard backmount tech CCR on your back, that is now your primary rebreather, and the chestmount is part of your (but hopefully not your only?) bailout breathing sources. Becoming a thing now evidently. You still need some OC cylinders for dilout, and maybe donation.
  6. Surely I am missing additional thoughts. Add a single-side "stage" sidemount CCR as bailout? Chest mount + Sidewinder? Dual chestmount?

@lostsheep interesting burns mate 😆👍🏼 You got me there. I do seem to have developed a SB.com addiction this month. Hello fellow addicts.

Believe it or not I am trying to provide information. Feel free to add something yourself.

My apologies for summarizing what was an 18 page thread of utter (but very interesting) confusion, so that it doesn't happen again in the same month.

I do in fact have plenty of experience with rebreathers, including carrying, planning, and considering bailouts. But certainly nowhere near as much as others do (@rjack321 for example)

This.

With scooter I'd get rid of the AL13 and plumb the O2 80 to the chesty to keep clear of the leash. Deep and travel are on long and short hoses ready to deploy from the left, respectively. Nitrox could be lower % for earlier switch on deco. Rich mixes on right, on and isolated. Losing the 10/70 would be an expedited ascent on travel gas.

This.

With scooter I'd get rid of the AL13 and plumb the O2 80 to the chesty to keep clear of the leash. Deep and travel are on long and short hoses ready to deploy from the left, respectively. Nitrox could be lower % for earlier switch on deco. Rich mixes on right, on and isolated. Losing the 10/70 would be an expedited ascent on travel gas.
How do you account for any amount of horizontal distance you need to travel before you can ascend? Or are your dives such that it’s always possible to just head up from wherever you are

How do you account for any amount of horizontal distance you need to travel before you can ascend? Or are your dives such that it’s always possible to just head up from wherever you are
Good point, assuming open water and the ability to travel to your up line at reduced depth. Obviously if this is not possible a different gas plan would make sense, more like a cave plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom