Checking on your regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

admikar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I thought I should post this in Apeks section of SB, but since it can be applied to any reg manufacturer I'll just put it here.
I just did my first DIY service on my Apeks DST/XTX50 regs, and while not bad ,they are not as pristine as I thought they would be.
So, I figured I should check more often on condition and respond accordingly, but.......in my understanding, if you open your regulator ( which stage is irrelevant), you ought to change o-rings and such, in other words, you do a service on your reg. Am I missing something? Apeks is on one year interval,year one-inspection, year two-service. I might have missed it on my course, but what does inspection actually involve?

Apeks and Aqualung have a every other year service and inspection cycle for their free parts for life program. If the unit still requires service in the off years then the customer is required to pay for the parts. They have a simple pass/fail sheet that is used in the inspection to determine if the unit requires service. I do not have a copy of the sheet next to me now but is basically the same as any other regulator.

If you are self servicing and not taking advantage of the free parts program this is irrelevant and service should be performed on an as needed basis taking into consideration the amount of use and condition of the unit.

Condition of the filter, signs of water intrusion, IP stability, and cracking effort should all be taken into consideration.

If you are self servicing and not taking advantage of the free parts program this is irrelevant and service should be performed on an as needed basis taking into consideration the amount of use and condition of the unit.

Condition of the filter, signs of water intrusion, IP stability, and cracking effort should all be taken into consideration.
I did service that was not really needed. Three years old, about hundred dives.Reg performed nicely,IP locks right on target, breathes OK. Main reason I did it is not to "forget" how to do it, besides my friend needed his reg serviced, so as long as all the tools are out..... When I looked at first stage filter,it looked clean, but when I opened my reg, reg side part was green. So, obviously, not as pristine as I thought it is. Clean inside, but nevertheless.....
Second stages were clean, except for some patina on shuttle valve pin and adjuster screw threads.
I am thinking about checking internals periodically, but my understanding is, if you open it, you must change o-rings. If I take turret retaining bolt, I change those o-rings. If I take turret off,I change those o-rings too. Basically, I am doing service any time I open them? Or is it OK to take turret off, take a look and just put it back?
O should I just wait until something feels off, to look into it?
Thanks....

If you feel the need to remove the turret i suppose the o-rings could be reused if in good condition but I wouldn't bother, to check for signs or corrosion or water inside I would simply remove a port plug or two. You should be able to look inside and get a decent idea of the condition.

If you feel the need to remove the turret i suppose the o-rings could be reused if in good condition but I wouldn't bother, to check for signs or corrosion or water inside I would simply remove a port plug or two. You should be able to look inside and get a decent idea of the condition.
I am ashamed to admit this, but that idea never occurred to me.

Well nothing to be ashamed off. It was a good question.

I am ashamed to admit this, but that idea never occurred to me.
There is nothing to check inside the HP chamber except the valve seat. And this important part is only accessible for viewing by removing the turret.
The valve seat is the integral part of the 1st stage and can't be replaced except on FSR.

You should not dissemble a first stage HP section unless you intend to replace the HP seat. These seats take a set/indent after they are installed and getting it back in the exact position is almost impossible. Often times the seat will not reseal if it is moved after it has taken this set. Occasionally it will but it's a crap shoot so it's best not to disturb it unless you intend to replace it. If it does not reseal, you have to dissemble the reg again and replace it, if you don't have a spare seat, your reg is down until you can get one. Same holds true for second stage seats. As for general orings, if they look good and I have not had to remove it from one of it's mating parts (removing it from a port plug for example) I will reuse it but it was completely removed, then it's just as easy to replace it and avoid any possible damage I did removing it. I keep bags of every oring in my regs so replacements are not an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom