Check those baggage charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTravlin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another thread talking about baggage restrictions gave me the idea to post this info. Many of you Coz regulars are probably aware of this but thought it might be helpful for some people. Baggage allowances vary from one airline to the next so make sure you look at baggage charges when comparing the different airfares available for your next Coz trip. Looks like 50 lbs max per bag is standard. These charges apply to travel between the continental US and Mexico.

Airline / 1st bag / 2nd bag
American / free / $30
Continental / free / $30
Delta / free / free
United / free / $30
US Airways / $25 / $35

Most of the airlines offer $2 to $5 off per bag for checking in & paying online.

US Airways may not be quite the bargain when adding in baggage fees while Delta becomes much more competitive.

Different airlines also offer different baggage benefits for those who hold various elite frequent flyer levels but that's more complicated than I care to get into.

We have a Continental Mastercard through Chase that we use to book our trips. We get free checked bags with it so you might want to check whatever card you are using. We still only check 1 bag apiece which is free anyway, but it's nice to know it's there if we need it.

To make things a little more interesting (ridiculous), US Air charges outbound but not inbound for first bag
Apparently Mexican law forbids it - Go Mexico !!!!
Craig

I saw that on my last trip and thought US Airways just forgot. Should have known better than to think an airline would miss a chance to charge extra!

We have a Continental Mastercard through Chase that we use to book our trips. We get free checked bags with it so you might want to check whatever card you are using. We still only check 1 bag apiece which is free anyway, but it's nice to know it's there if we need it.

Delta AmEx now has the same. There is an annual fee.

But, without I think Delta only allows one free international and fee for first domestic.

Back
Top Bottom