Check my wing math

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turnburglar

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys I compiled this spread sheet after wondering if a 25lb wing would be enough for my perceived diving scenarios I could encounter through traveling or diving in socal. Let me know if any of my math is glaring wrong, or if I should choose a larger wing than a 25lb DGX package.

wl5.jpg

why do you think the suit will only lose 10 lbs of buoyancy at depth? That is the critical number and I doubt your assumption is correct. Of course depends on the type of suit, one piece or 2 layers, the size of the suit small versus XXXL would make a huge difference.

If you want to be more conservative, you could assume the suit loses ALL buoyancy at depth. Also do you DO anything when diving? Carry a camera, pick up lobsters or scallops or anything heavy? LAstly, do you wish to have some excess lift to provide to a buddy who may have a failed BC at depth and might benefit from you dragging their butt to the surface?

Well, +1 for being thorough....

By your calcs it would appear sufficient. Is the -9 for the hp 100 inclusive of air? If not, without lead you are spot on for a balanced rig and wouldn't require much more weight. Apply this to all the scenarios.

Last edited:
If you want to be more conservative, you could assume the suit loses ALL buoyancy at depth.

It is not so much about being conservative but accurate. Seems like at around at couple of atmospheres suits lose all of their buoyancy.

A. What is the most negative your rig can be?

B. What is the buoyancy of your suit a the surface?

As long as your wing offers more lift than A or B you are good. If not you should select a larger wing.

This is a very simple concept, no need to make it more complicated.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom