Check-in for divers in the path of the storm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so if power is out..... how is buying gas done? (for your car or the generator?)

I'm assuming that most stores are closed also because they really don't have a backup system for running the cash registers. (you know, doing it mannually before they had those UPC scanners).

also since we now seem to live in a 'scan your credit card for purchase' society, hard to buy stuff unless you hit the ATM before the storm, and hope you got enough out.

so how does all that type stuff affect you in storms like this with long term power outages? yeah I know for a couple days it isn't that bad, but eventually the cubbard(cupboard) will run bare and the generator out of gas.

so if power is out..... how is buying gas done? (for your car or the generator?)

I'm assuming that most stores are closed also because they really don't have a backup system for running the cash registers. (you know, doing it mannually before they had those UPC scanners).

also since we now seem to live in a 'scan your credit card for purchase' society, hard to buy stuff unless you hit the ATM before the storm, and hope you got enough out.

so how does all that type stuff affect you in storms like this with long term power outages? yeah I know for a couple days it isn't that bad, but eventually the cubbard(cupboard) will run bare and the generator out of gas.

Actually, we typically have to get in the car and drive somewhere to find gas. Where they have power, all is normal. In my case, there is gas now on Highway 22, but there is water covering the road between that highway and my property that is preventing the power company and tree trimmers from doing their job on the downed power lines feeding my house. So I need an alternate plan.

I have 3- six gallon gas cans that I take with me to the pump now to fill with my truck to keep the generator going which went online a little over an hour ago as I just drove back this morning. I had two nights in a hotel room in Jackson, and it was heaven to have power and AC.

Now that I have the generator going and it can run for up to 13 hours on a fill-up, I will be able to sleep through the night in air conditioned comfort. I am also able to power my refrigerator, TV, satellite, 2 computers, phones and all the chargers, as well as my well pump so I have water. Things are as close to normal as I can make them without having Entergy connected up.

Now I need to clean all the water up off the floor from ice that melted in my absence in the fridge. :shakehead: At least I can do that with the AC on. :cool2:

Baton Rouge checking in!!!!! We survived. :D Tom, glad to see your ok. We couldn't really communicate. Landlines out. Cells intermittent. Text would be delayed by hours....if at all. What a game! LSU. Power just came back about 30 minutes ago. 800,000 without power. Trees everywhere on the ground. No massive flooding like New Orleans during Katrina. Power for some will be another 3 weeks before coming back on. I haven't slept more than 2-3 hours at a time since Sunday. Today is my first day off from work. My hospital was on emergency power for 2 days. I hope everyone is ok. Tim

Baton Rouge checking in!!!!! We survived. :D Tom, glad to see your ok. We couldn't really communicate. Landlines out. Cells intermittent. Text would be delayed by hours....if at all. What a game! LSU. Power just came back about 30 minutes ago. 800,000 without power. Trees everywhere on the ground. No massive flooding like New Orleans during Katrina. Power for some will be another 3 weeks before coming back on. I haven't slept more than 2-3 hours at a time since Sunday. Today is my first day off from work. My hospital was on emergency power for 2 days. I hope everyone is ok. Tim

I'm down the road from you in Springfield. That's in Livingston Parish. I still have no power, and probably won't for at least several days. The lines are down over a road that is covered by water overflowing from a nearby river. The tree cutting and power crews need to wait for the water to subside so they can get in and do their work.

I finally got a generator hooked up yesterday, and it ran out of gas at 1am this morning. I needed to get out of bed to turn off the beeping invertors. I need to figure out what time I need to fill up the tank to get the maximum uninterrupted sleep time.

My parents live in Gonzales, but they are still in Atlanta staying with my brother. I don't know if power is back on there yet or not, but their neighbors called them and told them they had a broken window, and they boarded up the window for them. That was pretty nice neighbors living there at the Greens in Pelican Point.

Glad you are okay. I hear the Saints are in the dome tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

We use to live in RiverHighLands on the Diversion Canal, off La 22, so I know what you are saying. After Katrina AND Rita the smell from the fish kill was horrible. Great down to earth people in that area....sad to move away. How long before ya'll receive power? We have some places in Baton Rouge that will be out for up to 3 weeks! There was a lot of devastation here in Louisiana, but I hear that we didn't get the media coverage that Katrina received because the levees held....and I'm glad they did. The house, in New Orleans, that we used to live in is gone. Sorry for rambling, I'm still tired as I think you must be. I hope Ike stays away from this country! Tim

We use to live in RiverHighLands on the Diversion Canal, off La 22, so I know what you are saying. After Katrina AND Rita the smell from the fish kill was horrible. Great down to earth people in that area....sad to move away. How long before ya'll receive power? We have some places in Baton Rouge that will be out for up to 3 weeks! There was a lot of devastation here in Louisiana, but I hear that we didn't get the media coverage that Katrina received because the levees held....and I'm glad they did. The house, in New Orleans, that we used to live in is gone. Sorry for rambling, I'm still tired as I think you must be. I hope Ike stays away from this country! Tim

I think it will be another 3 days before I get power as long as the water in the road subsides. Ike is not supposed to be entering the gulf (at its present speed and track) until Thursday morning, so next weekend, we may be dealing with all this again.

I'm still going to stay home though. I moved from Metairie to the northshore in 1998 because of Hurricane Georges. Georges was a Cat 4 headed straight for New Orleans out the gulf. I was living in a downstairs apartment in Metairie next to one of those outfall canals at street level. My stuff was doomed. Georges petered out over night, but I decided I was not going through that stress again, so I moved across the lake in 1999. Katrina hit in 2005 and the rest is history. While I did lose power for 3 weeks for Katrina and 3 days for Rita, my stuff was in no danger of getting creamed (except by the errant tornado).

ClayJar here, borrowing power and network access from church. There are perks to being a volunteer sound guy. :biggrin:

My subdivision, Melrose, here in Baton Rouge has extensive line damage. We're "orange" on Entergy's map, which means we're in the "Well, guess we'll have to rebuild the power distribution there" group. They've estimated 14 to 21 days (basically, September 18-25, estimated) before our power will be back on. I go back to work on Wednesday (local public school students go back a week from Monday, if their particular school has power by then).

There was no headline-grabbing flooding-and-devastation package to plaster all over the news this time (complete with people who didn't bother to evacuate from their respective drydocks), but at least in my area, this is far worse than Andrew, Katrina, Rita, and the like. It *is* nice, however, to have this tiny bit of "cool" (all things relative) weather.

I am happy to hear you are stilll with us Clay. Hopefully things will get on track quickly and that this new storm doesn't steer your way.

Carolyn:shark2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom