Cheap equalization hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like it. Avoids the whole issue of reverse flow through the reg. Pics would be nice. Even better if you bring it to a CHUM meeting to show.

OK my friend....working on that kitchen pass (wife is going out of town but should be back in time to watch the kids.) to make the next meeting and I will bring the equalizer with me.

c

The only problem with "reverse flow" thru the valve is that the gas is flowing the wrong way thru one of the filters. Any crud that has accumilated will get blown back into the tank (where it originated from). This can be minimised by letting a burst of gas free flow before connecting the reg to the empty tank.

The direct tank to tank method above I think was mentioned by someone who routinely takes a pony bottle to the Caribbean and didnÃÕ want to pay for a VIP to fill it on every trip. The poor-mans trans-fill whip.

Luis, I missed this thread. But I have posted this technique up a couple of times. But now that I have whip I rarely every need to do use this technique. Where I found more useful was after coming back from a trip and did not want to immediately run down to a shop just to get a little air in a cylinder.

I'm a bit confused. Why would you need two first stages? In theory, couldn't you just have an HP hose from one first-stage end in a male DIN fitting? Or is this because you already have two first stages and don't want to spend extra money on the DIN adapter?

Gombessa, in this case folks are talking about putting a bit of air in a pony bottle. So they would have two first stages. Using a 1/2 of fill whip that could be connected to a first stage would work as well.

I made a filler/equalization whip using 2 scuba tank paintball fillers and a length of HP line and it works great. I use it to fill 1800 psi twins off a modern 80 cu ft 3000 psi tank. The cost was <$100. Tim

Gombessa, in this case folks are talking about putting a bit of air in a pony bottle. So they would have two first stages. Using a 1/2 of fill whip that could be connected to a first stage would work as well.

Sure you would have two first stages, but unless I'm missing something (e.g., if a pony doesn't have a standard valve), it seems like an unnecessary step to have to connect the second first stage when a hose-to-DIN/yoke fitting would work? To illustrate, why is:

donor tank -> 1st stage -> hose -> first stage -> pony

better than:

donor tank -> first stage -> hose -> pony?

Thanks.

I just found this thread again, see Tank Equalizer for $2.50 for an updated and hopefully more concise version.

c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom