Cheap equalization hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone,

As this is the DIY section, you probably already guessed that I have investigated the usual, fill whip, manifold and already assembled store bought units. I think Luis and Awap have put me on the road to success. Part of the reason I posted this question was to see if anyone has done the regulator to regulator connection or to find out why it can not work for just transferring a sufficient amount of gas to avoid the VIP *******. I know it would be a very slow process to equalize tanks, but that is not the intention. Luis, I think you have given me the idea that will most easily work. I have an old free flow yoke adapter that has been outfitted with a high pressure hose. I can simply hold the hose up to the empty tank valve and I am in business. I will experiment with a few seal options.

Having said all that….Luis, Awap…one of you regulator gurus…is there a reason a hp to hp connection would damage my regulators? I can not think of any.

Pir8….I think you already know the answer to that.

Thanks again,

c

Edit: Right on Reefhound, I will soon be a proud member of CHUM and will certainly borrow your set up....but you know, I just have to try the workarounds first...

Having said all that….Luis, Awap…one of you regulator gurus…is there a reason a hp to hp connection would damage my regulators? I can not think of any.

HP air from the tank or from the HP port makes no difference.

I have never seen it, but I have heard in the old days of people doing this type of set up to dive independent doubles and equalize the pressure. They would have a shot of valve in the HP hose, plus they partially relied on the small orifice in the case of a major failure. I don’t know all the details in philosophy of that setup, but it sounded a bit crazy to me.

In some regulators you could drilled the port a tiny bit bigger, but that is kid of a crime.

The direct tank to tank method above I think was mentioned by someone who routinely takes a pony bottle to the Caribbean and didn’t want to pay for a VIP to fill it on every trip. The poor-mans trans-fill whip.

I think you could just use a rubber gasket from a standard water hose and a second set of hands to hold the tanks tight. I don't recommend using a clamp because that can get dangerous...no way of estimating pressure.

The direct tank to tank method above I think was mentioned by someone who routinely takes a pony bottle to the Caribbean and didn’t want to pay for a VIP to fill it on every trip. The poor-mans trans-fill whip. .

Yes, I heard about that guy, he used to live in PR, but now lives in Maine...can't remember his name.

I think you could just use a rubber gasket from a standard water hose and a second set of hands to hold the tanks tight. I don't recommend using a clamp because that can get dangerous...no way of estimating pressure.

Point taken....thanks again.

Yes, I heard about that guy, he used to live in PR, but now lives in Maine...can't remember his name.

No, that would not be me. I have never actually tried it and I have never used a pony bottle in the Caribbean.

Yes you can transfill from 1 1st stage HP port to another.
It does take awhile to equalise a large full tank to a empty ( 10 minutes) but so what?
If you just want to get 20 bar into a empty tank it takes 2 or 3 minutes.

I cant see how it could damage either of the regs. They are designed to handle the pressure and the LP side of them doesnt know any diffrence.

I have been filling my pony like this since I got it. I also use it to balance tanks and put a little air into an empty tank before it goes to the shop for a fill.

I must say its one of the best $20 I have spent on scuba gear.

Packhorse, what fitting(s) did you use and could you perhaps provide a picture.

Thanks,

c

Most divers are not aware that the end of an HP hose is just a flare fitting. The O-ring spool was added later to allow the pressure gauge to swivel…when they went from a rear fitting pressure gauge to a side fitting pressure gauge.

In any case all you need to connect the end of two HP hoses is a “flare union”.

I should be able to find the exact size or you can just go to a pluming supply of just take the OD dimension of the threads a do a bit of search on the web and you will easily find the size. I think it is the 1/4" size, but I am not sure.

Here is a picture of what it looks like:

flare-fittings-flarexflare.jpg

The cone seals inside the swivel. There is a mating female cone shape inside at the base of the swivel.

Note: I think a few very new hoses made with fittings specifically for Scuba have done away with the female shaped cone and just have a flat surface inside the swivel. Check your hose.

I just went to the local pneumatic hose shop and they made one up for me. It has steel fittings and 5000psi hose. Its not for use underwater and I wouldnt want to decant >40%ean with it but for anything else its fine. It does not have a swivel though. But its a cheap usable option.
No pic at the mo sorry

Luis and Packhorse...you are the men!

I rummaged around in my garage discovered a fitting very similar to the one you pictured. It was attached to an old free flow yoke fitting assembly designed to fill tires. Years ago I modified the assembly by replacing a lp hose with a hp hose. One of the fittings I used was a straight pipe to flare union. I used the fitting between the hp gage hose coming from the donor regulator and attached the free flow yoke on the receiving tank....It worked like a champ.

Before I did this, I wanted to experiment with just holding the donor hose up to the empty tank valve and that worked too, just not as well. I was working alone, so I did not get any practice with the valve to valve technique...didn't want to drop tanks on my foot.

Luis, if you can instruct me on how to post pictures here, I will try to paste pictures.

Thanks guys...life is good.

c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom