Cheap... eBay drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too think that your best bet is to have it altered by someone near you that can take your measurements and do it... Just make sure that it is loose enough so that you have full movement to include your arms up over your head and back behind you, and being able to squat down without seams being too tight... If you have Ron do it he is just going to have you go and get measured by a tailor anyway and then he will give those measurements to a tailor near him.

Phil

I was looking at the measurements online for the Polartec undergarment. I'm able to find a measurement for the arms and legs that seems reasonable but the waist and hips are a good 5-7 inches larger than I'd like. Is anyone else finding this? At 6'1" ~180 pounds the medium seems like a good fit but I usually wear 33 inch waist jeans and the measurement on these is 40.

Has anyone purchased one and had it altered? Any ballpark for what alterations cost? I think Ron offers custom orders but my thought is that it might make more sense to just make sure it's large enough and bring it in to have someone alter it for me rather than run the risk that it may still not fit even if I send measurements over to him on a custom order.

Functionally, I think you'll find a looser fit at the torso won't be a problem at all with a fleece undergarment. Probably be slightly warmer. :)

It will also give you more room if you want to wear a homemade fleece chest pad under it when diving colder water. Keeping the cold off your chest can make a big difference! :D

Dave C

So between the one layer and two layer 250 polartech, for 55-65 temps, what is the final verdict? Or do I go the way of the Whites MK2?

If it is the same 2-layer 250 g stretchy Polartec that I got, then for me it would be tolerable at 55F and toasty at 65F. YMMV.

If it is the same 2-layer 250 g stretchy Polartec that I got, then for me it would be tolerable at 55F and toasty at 65F. YMMV.

How thick is the two layer? Is it similar to the 300g DUIs or is it thicker?

I'm not familiar enough with the big name stuff to make a good comparison. I could take a picture but I don't think it would give you a very good idea.

If you are on the bubble, you may as well just try it. Verify the return policy with the seller, but I think he is good about it and you'd just be out shipping costs.

I rented the DUI Powerstretch 300 fleece, and then I ended up buying the 2 layer arctic fleece from Ron.

The DUI is thinner, but denser.
I'd estimate that the double layer fleece Ron-gear is probably at least 1.5x as thick as the DUI 300 (which is also double layer) in the air. But it's softer and compresses easier. I found I had to put a little more air in the suit to combat squeeze with the Ron-gear than with the DUI. I was warm in both, even though I run cold.

I express no opinion about how much extra weight the ron-gear undies might require. I'm still working out my drysuit weighting.

I like my ebay Ron-gear undergarments, and will be keeping them!

As far as fit, to add another data point to the thread, I'm female, 5'7", slim. The size medium is perfect height-wise, or maybe a little too tall. It's quite big around though, lots and lots of room for me to grow . . .uh . . . in circumference! Like somebody said above though, doesn't appear to interfere with usage, although my drysuit legs are a little tighter to get on now, and the Ron-gear fleece doesn't slide in quite as easily as the DUI.

Hope that helps.
Taxgeek

I'm 6'-3", 280# and ordered the XXXL Antarctic 2 layer 4 way stretch. The day it arrived I learned that the charts are off a bit and the arms and legs were too long for me. Torso fit was o.k., but also a bit loose.

I boxed it up and sent it back with a handwriten note, as well as a note to Ron through ebay... it was a Thursday...

The following Monday I received an ebay reply from Ron statoing that he had been away for the weekend on business and had just received my message.. He further explained that he did not have the Antarctic suit in XXL, but would be happy to provide me the the 250g/sqm in XXL (which he sells for about $17 more on ebay), and if this were acceptable he would ship it right away (without having received the returned merchandise yet)!!!

Got my spankin new DUI TLS 350 on last Friday and dove La Jolla on Saturday with the undies by Ron. Plenty warm at the canyon, the outer "shell" material slides the DUI on and off easily, and the fit is great.

I was extremely impressed with Ron's customer service; a more expensive unit at no additional cost and immediate shipping on my word alone.

Thanks Ron :)
R-O

i own a lighter weight one from him and my dad owns a lighter weight and a heavy weight the heavy weight is compareable to my MK3 from whites
well worth it great undergarment

So, after several e-mails back and forth to Rondel, I finally bought a 250g Polartech Fleece. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom