Cheap... eBay drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So confused by the number of different suits that are all rated for the same temperature. Any recommendation for the 55-65 temp range?

But for what kind of drysuit?

In my trilam, I think the 2-layer 250 gm stretchy one that I got would be great in that temperature range. In 45F water, I still need a base layer with it.

For under my Fusion the 250 Gram Polartec would be more than enough for me. But for others that may not be enough, or it may be to warm. It really comes down to a personal preference...

Phil

But for what kind of drysuit?

In my trilam, I think the 2-layer 250 gm stretchy one that I got would be great in that temperature range. In 45F water, I still need a base layer with it.

Its for a Fusion tech. I am leaning towards the 250 polartec but didn't know if I should get the one or two layer model.

Yes, I have e-mailed him, and he did respond, however I was looking for some user opinions. Here is rondel's response:
For that temperature range you can use the 200 gr/sqm quilted or nylon out shell and the flex 300g fleece. The fleece requires the most weight - thick fleece. If you are going into colder water - check the 2 layer polartec and the antartica. The polartec is 2 layers each 250g US material most stretchy - best for layering.

I just bought the 250 Gram Polartec from Ron for a dive this weekend in the 55 degree range. I have nothing but great things to say about Ron (rondel). He responds to emails very quickly and delivers on his promises. I bought on EBAY Sunday night, paid that night. He packed it up Sunday night and had fedex ground pick up on Monday. I had it at my house on Tuesday. His recommended size was an almost perfect fit. Price/quality/service.

Will be diving this weekend with the undergarment so will let you know how it goes.

I emailed Ron and gave him my dive conditions, equipment info and measurements. I asked for his recommendations and he gave me a quick and helpfull response. I ended up buying a 2 layer Polartec to use with a Typhoon TriLam. It came very quickly and I did one dive with it down to 52 degrees for ten minutes, then on to warmer water. (Not much of a test but I am still learning my suit). I was pretty happy with it. As Ron told me it is not a perfect fit and I could see myself ordering the custom cut one, but this one is close enough in size and does stretch, plus it is warm enough for my quarry dives. I recommend him.

One thing.. there is no label on this suit so I am not sure how to care for it.

One thing.. there is no label on this suit so I am not sure how to care for it.

Just wash it when needed and let it hang to dry. When I was mine I do it in cold water with VERY LITTLE detergent. I also only was it when it really needs it. I wear a super lite layer under my thicker undergarment to take most of the sweat so those get washed more often than my heavier undergarment does...

Phil

I was looking at the measurements online for the Polartec undergarment. I'm able to find a measurement for the arms and legs that seems reasonable but the waist and hips are a good 5-7 inches larger than I'd like. Is anyone else finding this? At 6'1" ~180 pounds the medium seems like a good fit but I usually wear 33 inch waist jeans and the measurement on these is 40.

Has anyone purchased one and had it altered? Any ballpark for what alterations cost? I think Ron offers custom orders but my thought is that it might make more sense to just make sure it's large enough and bring it in to have someone alter it for me rather than run the risk that it may still not fit even if I send measurements over to him on a custom order.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom