Cheap diving holiday in Puerto galera, Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dt2005

New
Reaction score
A while back, whilst having a drink with some friends in a bar, I mentioned that I fancied spending my £800 tax rebate on a cheap diving holiday far from Europe. A bloke at a nearby table overheard the diving word and suggested Puerto Galera in the Philippines. I have a friend in Hong Kong and thought that I'd like to stop off to visit him first for a couple of days before flying to Manila. When I get there I'm looking for good diving (obviously), plenty of other activities particularly hiking and somewhere that's not overrun with tourists but at the same time not too quiet for a single traveller.

Is there anybody out there that might be able to give me an idea whether this is the place for me for about 2 weeks on my budget (I don't mind slumming it)? Or any other suggestions???

Cheers!

I was there early this year for a 10 days diving vacation.Sabang is truly a divers' hangout indeed.Numerous dive shops offering recreational to tech diving.The dive sites range from beginners to advance.Too many hotels to mention here with some starting from $10 to over $100 per nite.Good nite life action if you're into it.I felt safe and people are very friendly.Very cheap local food.I dived with Dive Asia and was a very well run outfit.PG is indeed one of the cheapest in terms of diving ,food and accomodation.The dive sites are varied and exciting.Not alot of big pelagics but lots of small stuff.Viz depends on the season but easily between 50 to 80 feet most of the time.I was there in April and the diving was great.A 3mm full suit is recommended.The internet is full of dive info on PG.I'll return to PG anytime to dive.

First I'd recommend you ask the same question in the Asia/Philippine Paradise Divers Forum here. There are at least a few folks who live in Manila and dive that area often and can give you some additional info.

Second, don't go there during typhoon season. I was there last November, and was blocked from diving for a week by a typhoon off the coast that kept threatening to blast thru Puerto Galera, but never did. Well, until the day I left... :banghead:

I can think of a couple of resorts that may fit the bill for you. Come down to the Phil region board and I'm sure you'll get the help you need.

dt2005:

yup,
you will definitely get a LOT OF CHEERS :cheers:in P. Galera!!! that is for SURE !!!

DISCLAIMER : (we now have to put this huh, SPoon)

Drinking and diving is dangerous for your health.

Not that we endorse consumption of alcoholic beverage during dives, BUT it is a fact that the EUROPEANS in P.G. are the ones responsible for this :wink:. Because of our hospitality, we let them be. :D and when in rome, Do what the Romans do !!!

You need to HYDRATE with plain fresh water !!!

800 pounds is roughly P80,000. I'm not so familiar with plane ticket prices from London to Manila, but it use to be somewhere in the P40,000 range. Considering it is that, that gives you P40,000 extra. Take P10,000 off for miscellaneous expense (airport fee, transportation in manila, food in manila, etc..), then that leaves P30,000. Action Divers has a package special for $54 (P3,024.00) per night which includes accomodations and two boat dives. 7 nights on that package would be P21,168. Food for 8 days on Puerto Galera will roughly be P3,600 (P150 per meal X 3 meals a day X 8 days). P30,000 minus 21,168 and 3,600 leaves you about P5,232 for extras (beer, extra dives, tips, etc..).

I do not know how much your stay at Hongkong will cost but that would definitely have an impact on the above :) hope that helps

paolov:
DISCLAIMER : (we now have to put this huh, SPoon)

we should always put a disclaimer when talking about alcohol so as NOT to OFFEND CERTAIN PEOPLE:14:

paolov:
Yep, never drink & dive! (Unless you have one of those reg hydration systems...)
Now drinking then diving or diving then drinking are a different story.

POT ... SPOON ... STIR!

Spoon:
we should always put a disclaimer when talking about alcohol so as NOT to OFFEND CERTAIN PEOPLE:14:
DISCLAIMER: drinking alcohol won't make you realize that the cute girl eyeing you across the bar is actually a man.

Is that what you meant? :)

edit: oops! just realized I'm hijacking...

PG is a great place to go! My bro stayed here for 4 weeks and he received more vacation pay than he actually spent! (including the round trip ticket)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom