Cheap December Airfares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DjDiverDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been keeping an eye on early December airfares from DFW to Cozumel, looking forward to another Mensa ScubaSIG Dive trip, and it paid off this morning -- American dropped its RT fare to Cozumel from DFW from $522 to $392 just today. Don't know how long this will last - may be gone by Monday. My tickets for 12/3-12/10 are purchased.

They did the same thing last Friday. I got mine for sept. for $449 was fixing to pay 550 on united. Even though American charges for the bag it is still a good deal.

It's $452 for me (same dates...) which is $150 lower than when I looked yesterday.

But I don't have vacation time approved yet. I'm not sure if I should gamble or not. That's a big savings.

It's $410 for me (same dates...) which is $200 lower than when I looked yesterday.

But I don't have vacation time approved yet. I'm not sure if I should gamble or not. That's a big savings.

Does American offer a 7 or 14 day hold like United does ???? May be worth that chance if you are wanting to try to take advantage of the lower price

Double S

Sadly, no. But we decided the rate was worth the gamble. We'll save about $200 over what it has been for the past few months ($300 fare different, but not booking as a package we can't use orbitz's good coupon code) so that seems worth it.

Here's hoping I get the vacation time. Now I need to figure out who I'm diving with and where I'm staying at. Got the hotel booked :)

Thanks DJDiverDan! I've been watching fares for like 3 months, and they haven't come close to this.

Last edited:
Sadly, no. But we decided the rate was worth the gamble. We'll save about $200 over what it has been for the past few months ($300 fare different, but not booking as a package we can't use orbitz's good coupon code) so that seems worth it.

Here's hoping I get the vacation time. Now I need to figure out who I'm diving with and where I'm staying at. Got the hotel booked :)

Thanks DJDiverDan! I've been watching fares for like 3 months, and they haven't come close to this.

You can also use the promo codes when booking a hotel/car package, then just not pick up the car if you don't want it. We've done that several times and gotten a better deal than just booking the hotel with Orbitz. There are also usually some 5, 10 or 15% off hotel only promo codes out there you can use. We know the flight and hotel we want so we just book it whichever way works out cheapest for us.....anything we save is more pesos for the next trip :wink:

You can also use the promo codes when booking a hotel/car package, then just not pick up the car if you don't want it. We've done that several times and gotten a better deal than just booking the hotel with Orbitz. There are also usually some 5, 10 or 15% off hotel only promo codes out there you can use. We know the flight and hotel we want so we just book it whichever way works out cheapest for us.....anything we save is more pesos for the next trip :wink:

ooh, that's an interesting trick. We did use a 20% off cheap tickets code, but the room is refundable so this might be worth looking at.

Yup, we've done the same thing a time or two ..... did the hotel/car with the Orbitz promo code, and just didn't pick up the car.

I'm bummed we already bought our tickets for November, seeing how low American has just dropped. But at least they were still under the $600+ we had paid in the last few years! Now if they'll just lower the prices for March, I'd be planning the next trip!

I'm bummed we already bought our tickets for November, seeing how low American has just dropped. But at least they were still under the $600+ we had paid in the last few years! Now if they'll just lower the prices for March, I'd be planning the next trip!

Have they changed your itinerary at all since you booked? It seems the flight times when we book change a million times- and for our Galapagos flights, when we cited that as a reason for change, they actually let us cancel without any sort of charge (which is normally very high) a few weeks ago. We then rebooked on the same flight we had been changed for, but for a lot less money.

Doesn't look like Orbitz has a hotel/car promo right now, but I got a pizza-hut view room at Suites Bahia for $41 a night, and I'm pretty happy with that.
Need to find an op now. Alison doesn't have space all week (Chief- did you fill up the boat?), so I have to decide if I want to split time, or go with someone else. Waiting to hear back from Tres Pelicanos.

Have they changed your itinerary at all since you booked? It seems the flight times when we book change a million times- and for our Galapagos flights, when we cited that as a reason for change, they actually let us cancel without any sort of charge (which is normally very high) a few weeks ago. We then rebooked on the same flight we had been changed for, but for a lot less money.
For the November trip, we're booked on Delta. They don't seem to change the flights near as much as Continental/United did for all the years we flew on them. Continental would seem to change the flights every few weeks, and change them drastically. I had to fight them big one time to get back on the flight we had originally been on that they had cancelled - pushing us to a later flight, then they reinstated the original flight.And I loved the time they changed us to a connection that left Tampa before we arrived in Tampa.

Doesn't look like Orbitz has a hotel/car promo right now, but I got a pizza-hut view room at Suites Bahia for $41 a night, and I'm pretty happy with that.
Need to find an op now. Alison doesn't have space all week (Chief- did you fill up the boat?), so I have to decide if I want to split time, or go with someone else. Waiting to hear back from Tres Pelicanos.
No Alison????? Bummer!!!! We actually changed our dates from March to February this year, as she was going to be off island when we planned to go.
(Maybe you can slip Carlos a few bucks to throw El Jefe overboard, and make some room for you! :wink:)

Back
Top Bottom