cheap and quick certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamarinda

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is oversimplifying things, but I was wondering if anyone can help me find a quick and easy (but pleasant) way to get my boyfriend certified. I dive, he is interested. We will be near the Red Sea in the spring and I don't want him to be a first-time diver then. He refuses to do open water dives in chilly New England over the winter (I don't blame him).

Anybody have thoughts on our best Caribbean options, so I can dive and he can learn? Utila and Roatan and Belize are cheap courses, but flights are a bit of a bear. Bonaire is lovely (I've been a bunch), but more expensive. Most other Caribbean islands get mighty expensive just to stay.

Anybody have ideas about mainland Puerto Rico (very easy flights), or Cayman? I've never been to Cayman and don't know if it's really pricey or hard to get to, like the above-mentioned places.

Any places I'm not thinking of, easy to get to from Boston and not too expensive?

Thanks!!

If he's going to dive at all in New England, I suggest he learn here. Maybe he can learn to dive dry at the same time - and then it's not so cold.

If there is no way...it's wicked easy to get to the Bahamas for a weekend from Boston. Check out Travelocity's last minute deals - they really are a steal.
Good luck and safe diving!
Lisa

Easy is possible. Quick is probably not good.

There's a lot of stuff that needs actual practice and pool time, like buoyancy control, reg recovery, ascents, etc. that just doesn't lend itself to "Quick".

I'm certain you can find someone to certify him quickly, but I don't think you would be doing him any favors.

Terry

tamarinda:
I know this is oversimplifying things, but I was wondering if anyone can help me find a quick and easy (but pleasant) way to get my boyfriend certified. I dive, he is interested. We will be near the Red Sea in the spring and I don't want him to be a first-time diver then. He refuses to do open water dives in chilly New England over the winter (I don't blame him).

Anybody have thoughts on our best Caribbean options, so I can dive and he can learn? Utila and Roatan and Belize are cheap courses, but flights are a bit of a bear. Bonaire is lovely (I've been a bunch), but more expensive. Most other Caribbean islands get mighty expensive just to stay.

Anybody have ideas about mainland Puerto Rico (very easy flights), or Cayman? I've never been to Cayman and don't know if it's really pricey or hard to get to, like the above-mentioned places.

Any places I'm not thinking of, easy to get to from Boston and not too expensive?

Thanks!!

Cheap and quick do not equate to a good certified diver.... We are talking about life support equipment here, not a meal at Burger King. Each diver requires a certain amount of time to feel comfortable diving in OW. I would never rush someone into getting certified just to make a trip.

Welcome to the board.

I agree with the others, quick is not good. I would suggest he do the confined portion of the course at home then do a referal somewhere warm. The Fla keys or springs are not too bad in the winter and you can always dive there saving a lot on air. Curacao is another option, easier to get to than Bonaire with about the same diving conditions.

If you go to a resort, it will take you 4 days to get your OW...doing two days in pool/classroom and then two days in open water...the same as it does anywhere else. I went through NAUI and that is how long it took..two weekends..the rest of the skills, he will learn with practice, diving and time. Go for it.

tamarinda:

Cheaper, faster, better - pick two because you can't have all three. Well known to project managers worldwide.

If your friend is going to eventually dive in New England, I would recommend that he consider taking training there.

I concur with most of the other posts here. Don't go for the quickest/easiest option as it will not pay off in the long term!
It doesn't sound as though he will ever want to dive in cold water so he should probably go the "referral" route. This means that he should complete his academic and confined water (swimming pool to you) work at home in Boston and then do his final certification dives somewhere with some nice warm water and conditions similar to wherever you plan to do most of your diving! Not always easy but it saves spending time in a classroom when you are on vacation and you stand a better chance of getting him hooked on the sport if he is a little reluctant to start with.
Cayman Airways are flying direct from Boston now so hop down and see us!
Not the cheapest of destinations but if you look around you can often get a good deal on accomodations and dive prices compare with most destinations.

Hope it works out!
CJ

I will chime in with the others, quick and easy is not the way to go, you would be doing him an injustice. Basic skills take time to develop and require practice Q&E just does not cut it. If he is going to go for it, he should do it right.

Have your cake and eat it too.

Find a local shop for him to train with and do all of the class and pool work. Some students breeze through the class others have some things to conquer. This is not something you want restricted to a quickie course.

Then either go the local drysuit route or do a get-away trip for his open water dives. As long as this is comparable to the exposure protection he will need in the Red Sea you're OK.

Then come May/June when New England waters are coming around have him repeat his dives with the local shop. Doing the skills in hood and gloves and in full 7mm neoprene can be a different deal and getting into our limited visibility and higher seas is not something he should be stumbling into.

Don't take a quickie route, if he gets in over his head unprepared there is no "undo button" here.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom