cheap and quick certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you spend in airfare getting to Utila you will save in other costs. When I was there last year I watched the Bay Islands College Of Diving (BICD) spend hours and hours in the water with 3 students. I stayed at Utila Lodge and had a chance to meet several of BICD students and insrtustors. I'll go back when it is time for my daughters to get certified. By day 3 they will be watching the Whale Sharks with me.

Wow, everyone. Thanks so much for the input. When I said 'quick and easy' I wasn't really thinking 'quick and dirty.' I had my own mediocre experience getting certified at a cheaper place, and there were nasty politics within the office, the master getting somewhat bombed every evening, and he forgot to do the emergency ascent, so we needed and extra day. I'm on board with the need for quality dive education. Thanks for the advice there.

He has taken one dive in New England, had fun, despite minimal visibility (which is typical), but that was years ago. I don't think he's interested in more cold water diving. (I'm not either! Brrr!!) He's not an experienced swimmer, however, which is the biggest obstacle. But he's game, and I think we can do it gently but efficiently. He has a lot of experience with other ego-challenging and sometimes scary sports, like rock climbing. My take on the swimming thing is that diving actually doesn't involve lots of swimming (when it's from a boat as opposed to shore), and he might be better off then those of us who spend our first several dives flailing our arms about rather than focusing on buoyancy.

I think we're going to opt for Bonaire, because the diving is easy and the instructors competent. I have family going this winter, and I think the support of others besides myself will be a major plus. Less pressure and all... I guess we'll ditch the 'cheap' part and go for the easy and good parts. And he can take a few dives after the course with us for more practice.

The tip on the Bahamas is a good one: I'll remember that! Also knowing that there are direct flights to Cayman from Boston will serve us next year! :)

Thanks so much for the input!

tamarinda:
I think we're going to opt for Bonaire, because the diving is easy and the instructors competent. I have family going this winter, and I think the support of others besides myself will be a major plus. Less pressure and all... I guess we'll ditch the 'cheap' part and go for the easy and good parts. And he can take a few dives after the course with us for more practice.

I think that is a great move. When I was in Bonaire, I saw the students with their Go Dive! books lounging at the pool between lessons and I thought that is definitely the way to learn how to dive. It's a diving island and hel'll get totally hooked as well as get good instruction I would bet.

Yeah, the cheap part definitely doesn't fit. :wink:

As a scuba instructor, I've seen people certified before they went through all the OW dives (in my mind this was true, they still did all the training). In common parlance, it's the carpenter, not the tools that matter. If your boyfriend takes to it very quickly, hooray! However, if he doesn't, it will take more time and practice...either way, just go for it and take it one day at a time. My suggestion would be for him to do the book and the pool in Boston, then you guys shoot down to Bahamas or something like that for Open Water...Bonaire is going to be too pricey...actually, Puerto Rico (South Shore) would be great, and its a fun trip. Dominican Republic is also very reasonable...the bottom lines are 2: First, make sure he's doing this for him (he actually wants to dive) and not for you (including that he doesn't feel cool if you dive and he doesn't). I see the reverse more often (the overbearing boyfriend or husband 'forcing' (figuratively) the girlfriend or wife to dive), and it really never works. Second, if he takes to it quickly, that's great, but still take it slow. If not, and he wants to get it, he will, and either way you'll be diving together in no time. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom