Charters in South Carolina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WinfieldNC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for charter options in South Carolina. I have only been able to find three shops that offer charters. Two in Myrtle Beach (Express Water Sports and Coastal Scuba) and one in Charleston (Charleston Scuba).

Are there others that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Win

I know a few others.

You found the two in MB - there's also Nu Horizon's but I don't think they own a boat.

We dove with Express a couple times - they're south of town about 20 mins. in Murrell's Inlet. Both they or Coastal do most of the same dives just from opposite ends. Express since bought a big Newton dive boat - recommended if you plan to do the all day charters. There it seemed like the farther out, the deeper and the better the viz...

Low Country is in Mt Pleasant (north Charleston) I think they're the only other Charleston shop. Lowcountry Scuba Online

Mid-state i know of Columbia Scuba - an acquaintance dives thru them. Welcome to Columbia Scuba

I dock just down from Express Watersports boat. They are without a doubt the best run and most professional crew I've ever seen on a charter boat.

I dock just down from Express Watersports boat. They are without a doubt the best run and most professional crew I've ever seen on a charter boat.
They are also the only dive charter that charges tax on their dive trips.

Quick Dive Trip Review.
I was able to get in a couple days of diving. I decided to go with the shop near my Beach Resort in N. Myrtle Beach to limit my time away from the family, which turned out to be Coastal Scuba.

Overall they were well organized, knowledgable, professional and friendly group. The dive boat I was on was called the Safari IV, it was well maintained and spacious for 12 divers or more.

First trip we did the Charleston Tug and visibility was ~ 20 feet with it dropping down to ~ 5-6 ft at the prop and sand. Thermacline and slight current. The sea was flat on the surface which made up for the variable visibility. Brittany and captain Jack kept the crew and staff organized and on the ball every step of the way.

Second trip out was a few days later and after several storms passed through. Visibility on the Barracuda Ally was ~ 10 feet on the first dive. Second dive it was down ~2 feet. Conditions had nothing to do with charter ....it was all Mother Nature making this dive more challenging. Crew warned any diver not comfortable not to go in such limited visibility. Far as I'm concerned they did a stand up job hauling us out to this dive site.

If I'm in the area again I will definitely go back out with them again. Just hope for better conditions, but that is why they call it the Finicky Atlantic.

Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving - Coastal Scuba

Back
Top Bottom