Charleston scuba/Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's up guys. New to the forum. Looking for some fellow divers/spearfisherman in the Charleston, SC area to link up with. I have all gear and have been diving for over 10 years mostly out of Georgia. I'm living in the Charleston area now and the 3 hour drive for diving/fishing in GA is wearing on me.

On another note, I've also combined my love for woodworking and spearfishing and started building guns, so if anyone is into that let's link up and share some tips!

Picture attached is a gag from last weekend taken with my first gun build

Attachments

• Grouper.jpg
    Grouper.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 210
Good luck to you ...

This board is primarily composed of SCUBA Divers, with a smattering of SCUBA shoot'em ups and one, maybe more, old broken down true spear fishermen.

The art and science of making spear guns has been alive and well in SoCal for many decades. It began in 1939 with the "Bottom Scratcher" later the San Diego Addicts and finally adaptation of the JD Prese aka Aussie mechanism, now used by many as the Riffe mechanism.

I have made or assisted in making many spear guns - About the time you were entering this world my son worked his way through college making and selling home made custom guns - until the liability factor raised its ugly head.

Currently I have 2 Bottom Scratchers, 2 teak customs with Alexander mechanisms and a highly modified short Arbalete -- just in case a fish jumps out of the Pacific Ocean and swims 600 feet up a hill and into my yard ..

Good luck

Sam Miller, 111

Expresswater sports in Murrells Inlet (about an hour north on highway 17) allows spearfishing on their trips . Most trips are in the 60 foot range but they do run a few trips to the Hebe and Vermillion. Great crew and very well run operation. Also a good spot to meet some other shooters.

Is Low Country Scuba still in Mt. Pleasant?

They did spearo friendly ttips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom