Channel Islands - Mako Eats Sea Lion!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwest

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a liveaboard trip to the Southern Channel Islands on the Vision. I'll post a trip report soon as it was amazing diving. The true highlight though happened above water on our way to Farnsworth Bank on Catalina. The Captain noticed a splash in the distance and went over to check it out. For the next hour we witnessed something truly amazing as a large (8-10 foot) Mako shark circled a sea lion that had a small chunk out of its hind quarters from the initial strike. The water was clear enough that we could at times see the entire shark under water as it circled. The sea lion was still alive through the ordeal and was constantly keeping an eye on the shark as it circled although a couple of heart-wrenching times it looked up at all of us on the boat. At times the shark would circle in closer looking like it would strike but the sea lion would always dart out of the way and the mako would whack it with its tail. Finally the shark took a bite (facing the boat no less) and the water filled with blood while the sea lion desperately tried to swim. Two seconds later the shark grabbed the sea lion and took it about 10 feet under water where it shook it violently and finished it off. Here are my two pathetic photos, but I would imagine you will see video and better photos soon as many on the boat got awesome footage. I have to warn you that even though my photos aren't great they are still somewhat graphic.

(((kevin)))

/Users/iKev/Desktop/P1000838.jpg
/Users/iKev/Desktop/P1000839.jpg

Attachments

• P1000838.jpg
    P1000838.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 387
  • P1000839.jpg
    P1000839.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 541
Wow,

I cannot believe how you got the opportunity to see this unfold and get pictures... Just amazing, thank you so much for sharing...

If you don't mind I will use this thread for my Env Sci 225 class when we discuss predation..

MG

Very interesting. I've always read that makos are fish eaters and don't remember seeing anything about them eating marine mammals. However, a fishing boat recently observed what some called a mako and others a GWS attack a sea lion.

Of course one could characterize a human's diet by the usual foods eaten and miss the occasional splurges on ice cream sundaes.

Hey Mike - feel free to use it, I'll also let you know when I see the videos posted.

(((kevin)))

Wow,

I cannot believe how you got the opportunity to see this unfold and get pictures... Just amazing, thank you so much for sharing...

If you don't mind I will use this thread for my Env Sci 225 class when we discuss predation..

MG

Hi DrBill,

Can't wait for you to see the videos - Captain Tommy (don't know his last name) of the Vision had never seen anything like it and he grew up on Catalina and out on the water. I really felt fortunate to witness this. By the way the conditions at Farnsworth and on Santa Barbara Island were awesome can't wait to get back to your neck-of-the-woods :D

(((kevin)))

Very interesting. I've always read that makos are fish eaters and don't remember seeing anything about them eating marine mammals. However, a fishing boat recently observed what some called a mako and others a GWS attack a sea lion.

Of course one could characterize a human's diet by the usual foods eaten and miss the occasional splurges on ice cream sundaes.

Hey Kevin,
It was a great trip and a pleasure having you along. What an incredible scene that was. And even though I'm a big shark fan it was a bit heart wrenching watching the sealion. I gotta imagine even the most heartless bastard would have felt a little bit sorry for the sealion. I'm going to try to edit some of the video tonight after work. Will post as soon as possbile. I look forward to reading your trip report!

We now have two mako shark attacks on sealions in the last month at Catalina. Plus the other large mako that was caught by fishermen with pinniped parts in it's stomach. So for all those that say makos only eat fish it's time to reconsider.

Dan

We were diving from our own boat off Yellow Banks on Santa cruz island a few years back. We were anchored in the kelp. Four of us were in the water swimming during our Sit time. The one guy left on board notice a dorsal fin on the surface heading our way. We all climbed back on the boat and saw a large Mako cruising toward the boat then under the boat and gone!.

Another trip at Anacapa off the back side my husband had a large Tiger (he could clearly see his stripes as he got to look at him really good) come to him. He backed up to a rock and the shark came withing 8'to 10' from him and began doing figure 8's...he was obviously very agitated. He got going faster and faster, whipping his tail hard enough so hubby could feel the current from it..he also started to shake his head..then just as suddenly as he appeared he took off...we all went back to the boat and left the area...

I never saw many sharks till i met my hubby and started diving with him...he's a regular magnet..lol

We were diving from our own boat off Yellow Banks on Santa cruz island a few years back. We were anchored in the kelp. Four of us were in the water swimming during our Sit time. The one guy left on board notice a dorsal fin on the surface heading our way. We all climbed back on the boat and saw a large Mako cruising toward the boat then under the boat and gone!.

Another trip at Anacapa off the back side my husband had a large Tiger (he could clearly see his stripes as he got to look at him really good) come to him. He backed up to a rock and the shark came withing 8'to 10' from him and began doing figure 8's...he was obviously very agitated. He got going faster and faster, whipping his tail hard enough so hubby could feel the current from it..he also started to shake his head..then just as suddenly as he appeared he took off...we all went back to the boat and left the area...

I never saw many sharks till i met my hubby and started diving with him...he's a regular magnet..lol

I am very curious to know whether the shark you saw in Santa Cruz was indeed a Tiger shark? I thought they are more indigenous to warmer waters of Mexico and Hawaii?

Could it have been another shark similar to the Tiger? Maybe Dr. Bill can give us some insight?

Thanks,

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom