Channel Islands - Mako Eats Sea Lion!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely an interesting sighting, especially with there being another such attack reported this year in our waters. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the "unusual" water conditions (warm winter, cold summer) we've been experiencing and the effect of that on fish populations that usually enter our waters this time of year. Maybe their primary prey species aren't here and they are resorted to opportunistic feeding on sea lions.

Yes, I know Tommy fairly well. His parents (and Tommy) are friends of mine. The Vision is a great boat to dive from!

Hi DrBill,

Can't wait for you to see the videos - Captain Tommy (don't know his last name) of the Vision had never seen anything like it and he grew up on Catalina and out on the water. I really felt fortunate to witness this. By the way the conditions at Farnsworth and on Santa Barbara Island were awesome can't wait to get back to your neck-of-the-woods :D

(((kevin)))

I agree Bill, it has been a weird year and I think you're assumption may be accurate. As there has yet to be a real tuna fishing season in US waters, maybe some of the large makos have moved close to the islands this year to find a different food source? I've heard of several reports within the last few weeks of freedivers and scuba divers seeing makos on nearshore reefs and walls at various Channel Islands.

Dan

Had breakfast with Scott Cassell yesterday and asked him about this behavior. He said that the larger makos will indeed on occasion go after marine mammals. Good to know as makos up to about 14 ft have been seen in nearshore waters here, although mostly by spearfishers.

Has anyone seen the video from the bow of the ship?

Wow, little fin tip, big assed shark!
Not sure I would've been getting back in the water any time soon.

Kevin,

Amazing pics of the shark with the seal in his mouth; just like on the Discovery channel... Amazing that it's not a little seal pup, more like a juvenile that was at the wrong place and time...

Makes me wonder more about the mako than the great white, pups are a snack the juveniles can bite back...

MG

Back
Top Bottom