Channel Islands 18-20, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoshP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I am going on a Channel Islands live aboard lobster dive this comming weekend. I will be diving off the Conception for 3 days, and doing my AOW certifications. I was wondering if anyone had been on these trips before and had any advice, tips or tricks...or if anyone else is going this weekend. Trip Report will be posted with pictures next week.

So I am going on a Channel Islands live aboard lobster dive this comming weekend. I will be diving off the Conception for 3 days, and doing my AOW certifications. I was wondering if anyone had been on these trips before and had any advice, tips or tricks...or if anyone else is going this weekend. Trip Report will be posted with pictures next week.

Bring your pillow and some sheets for the bunk (or a sleeping bag). Don't forget things like toothbrush and lobster card and license. Some kind of boat coat comes in handy. Some people use leather gardening gloves when lobstering.

If you're bug hunting, go shallow. You'll get more bottom time and the bugs are shallow this time of year. Plan on covering a lot of ground. If they're back in a hole, don't waste a lot of time, go to the next one. If you grab one that is in a hole, and he just won't come out, shake the heck out of it. It rattles the brain and they go limp.

Since bugs curl their tail underneath when frightened and go backward, aim to grab near the back of the tail. Make the grab as quickly as you can. Keep a tight grip around the tail then measure before stuffing it into the game bag, tail first.

Echoing dannobee's advice to bring a boat coat, pillow and sleeping bag. I usually use the blankets they have in the bunks for a base covering, but many bring sheets. Get there around 6pm. You may have to wait to board with your gear but you will be early enough to snag good engine console top real estate for your gear bag. don't clutter the benches with dive gear, they will just make you move it. a mesh bag can go under the benches.

If you forget something, like the time I forgot toothpaste, don't worry. There is a 7/11 a couple blocks east on Castillo that has everything you need. Oh yeah, bring a cooler with a few beers in it. This can be stowed along the gunwalls. There is ice at the sealanding shop at the dock.

You might want to think about taking along some bonine or non-drowsy equivalent and starting it the day before the trip.

Conception is a great boat and the TA crews are really good. Channel Islands has some wonderful diving, and each island is different. Have fun.

+1 on all the above. If night diving don't forget extra batteries for your dive lights (primary and back up). Since you are doing your advanced: read all you can and do all the paperwork, knowledge reviews beforehand. Be prepared. I've seen a number of divers reading the chapters in between dives and having no idea what to expect.

Also since it is a multiday, make sure your gear is all serviced and working. Nothing worse than something faulty on day 1.

Also, with this dive op, plan on gaining weight :D

Thanks for all the advice everyone, keep it coming.

I have been boating since I was about 6 months old. So I am squared away on packing needs and space conservation. I have never been seasick before, unless diving makes you more prone to sea sickeness? Then mabye it would be a good idea to get some pills. Thanks for the tips on nabbing lobsters as well.

Are any of the islands better diving than others, what is the avg vis, im assuming water temp will be around 50-55?

Don't take Jerry's picture and bring ear plugs.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, keep it coming.

I have been boating since I was about 6 months old. So I am squared away on packing needs and space conservation. I have never been seasick before, unless diving makes you more prone to sea sickeness? Then mabye it would be a good idea to get some pills. Thanks for the tips on nabbing lobsters as well.

Are any of the islands better diving than others, what is the avg vis, im assuming water temp will be around 50-55?

The swell models show 4-6 ft, so your diving will be dictated by the conditions. They will put you where its the easiet to dive, and also keep the boat in one spot. I doubt the temp will drop below 55. Its still pretty warm unless you go deep. Viz will also be affected by conditions. Recent rain muddies it up a bit but that usually clears in a few days. I've had pure flat glassy seas out there and 10-15ft viz. Lately its been pretty good.

A power strip is always nice if you have camera equipment or a laptop and I also think a dive coat, hat, and gloves is a must if you're diving wet.

Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom