"Changing towel/robe" for boat coat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a surf fur. I would never take it to the Caribbean unless the next ice age hit. Too warm and way too bulky to travel with. Unless I wore it on the plane and then I'm sure TSA would be searching for my lightsaber.

Lots of working DM’s wear additional protection including hoods even on tropical waters. Don’t forget they they may be doing several dives a day several days in a row so they need to protect their core body heat. I know several that refuse to sleep in a/c for that reason. Not the same for someone who is going on vacation for a week. Planning on doing several dives a day may make a difference especially if you are prone to being cold.

I use one of these on occasion: Scuba Dive Parka with Hood and Polar Fleece Lining

$80 and gets the job done. I also have a slightly nicer one I got from my LDS for slightly more. I've never tried the premium branded surf-fur, but I've only heard good things. Make sure you get a size or two "too big" so you have room for that wetsuit on the inside :).

I live in Florida and only dive in FL or Caribbean destinations like Coz or Roatan. I generally travel on trips to Cozumel in the summer, so I don't bother bringing it on those trips. My wetsuits stay home for those trips as well.

Just to follow up, I ordered the one in the link on my first post. Way to bulky to deal with, even in the original packaging, let alone once opened up and wet.

I ended up finding a 4XL windbreaker with a hood at Goodwill that should go over the wetsuit easily, and is long enough to cover down to mid-thigh. I'm a little concerned about the fine-toothed zipper in a salt-water environment, so I may put some plastic snap closures on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom