"Changing towel/robe" for boat coat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone used/using a microfiber towel/robe? I'm looking for something to use in the Caribbean mostly to stop the wind during SI, and not so much for warmth. I stumbled on this one on Amazon: Changing Towel Poncho Robe, that is a lot cheaper than the typical boat coat. One drawback I see is that there isn't a drawstring or snaps for the hood, but that's minor.

In the Caribbean I just have a sports microfibre towel. I rarely even use it. My husband will dry off and then don a windbreaker if necessary, I just stay in my skin, it is dry in only a few moments and has always been enough. You might not be as used to cooler temp as we are tho. Anything that is just towel/fleece will not break the wind, you will need a shell for that.
We do not change on the boat, only dry off and don layers.

Anyone used/using a microfiber towel/robe? I'm looking for something to use in the Caribbean mostly to stop the wind during SI, and not so much for warmth. I stumbled on this one on Amazon: Changing Towel Poncho Robe, that is a lot cheaper than the typical boat coat. One drawback I see is that there isn't a drawstring or snaps for the hood, but that's minor.
I am not sure it will do what you want. Not wind resistent and it is absorbant. Between the wetsuit and a boat with any spray I would expect it to be soaked. I too have a Surf-fur but I think a cheap lined windbreaker would also be a good option for what you have described.

+1 on surf fur. My instructor was impressed enough to get one for his wife, also an instructor. In Hawaii.

Buy once, cry once. Get a Surf-fur. I paid $150 for mine off Amazon, but worth every freaking penny.
I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond, but fur? Did I mention my area of interest in the Caribbean? And $150!! I could buy 6-7 of the robes I found on Amazon. What I'm looking for is any experience with this type of material and accessory. I might need to step up, but $150 isn't anywhere in the ballpark - that's not Waveland Ave, that's Evanston.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond, but fur? Did I mention my area of interest in the Caribbean? And $150!! I could buy 6-7 of the robes I found on Amazon. What I'm looking for is any experience with this type of material and accessory. I might need to step up, but $150 isn't anywhere in the ballpark - that's not Waveland Ave, that's Evanston.

It’s made of fleece. Company founders are divers and surfers. Surf-fur, get it? Waterproof, very warm, reversible. I dove wet on the Great Lakes and it’s a game changer.

... Surf-fur, get it? Waterproof, very warm, reversible. I dove wet on the Great Lakes ...
Again, thank you for taking the time to respond, but what we have here, is a failure to communicate.

GREAT LAKES ≠ CARIBBEAN.

What you need for the Great Lakes and what is required in the Caribbean are two very different things. I dive Roatan, Cuba and the Doninican Republic regularly, I am usually fine with a towel since I leave my skin on, but if it is windy you will want something that stops the wind. Usually a nylon type shell, poncho or jacket, in conjunction with the absorbent material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom