Changing BC pull dump to elbo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plclark196

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to change the pull dump on my standard vest type bc to an elbo and at the same time shorten the legnth of the corrogated hose and the corresponding bc lp inflator hose...this would shorten everything up ...of course I'd still have two over pressure valves on the bc. Any opinions???

I'd like to change the pull dump on my standard vest type bc to an elbo and at the same time shorten the legnth of the corrogated hose and the corresponding bc lp inflator hose...this would shorten everything up ...of course I'd still have two over pressure valves on the bc. Any opinions???

A question: why do you want to change out the pull dump?

The shorter the better if you ask me. As packhorse suggests, I would just go ahead and replace the whole kit w/ a BP/W while you are it :). Depending on what make of BC you have, you may be able to replace it with standard parts. Once you pull it apart, you will find a cable that runs from the inflator assembly up through the corrugated hose to the dump valve at the shoulder. Just cut or remove that cable from the inflator, screw the new shoulder onto the BC, insert hose and screw it all together. Takes 5 mins.

For me it was because I never use it. And if you never use it why have it when it could cause potential problems.

If you were closer, I would send you an elbow and corrugated hose in whatever length you wanted in trade for the pull dump you have. (I just bought 7 Travel Wings that came with the elbow, and I now have 7 elbows, I do not want. And I need dump elbows.)

If it is worth anything to you, I have never seen a pull dump fail other than from a tank falling on it. Corrugated hoses ripping in two: yes, Inflators crapping out: Yes, Bladder OPV's (actually pull dumps) leaking: yes, The junction point itself leaking: Yes, Corrugated hose pull dump sticking: No. Probably as much as any other reason, they don't fail because gravity clears the area between dives. The crap gathers in the inflator and the bottom of the BC where the butt dumps are.

But that is just my anecdotal evidence.

Dive Rite sells replacement hoses, elbows, and inflators for their wings, if their threading fits yours you could try them.

Dive Rite Air Cells (Wings) for Singles and Doubles

Scroll down to "components and parts." I agree whole-heartedly with your objective, the only thing stopping me from replacing the 16" hose and pull dump on my Venture Wing is the possibility that I might get a new wing with a shorter hose and plain elbow.

Not that you asked, but IMO the shorter hose is an awesome idea. Easier to dump and it doesn't take up as much room dangling around or pinned to your jacket. Anything longer than the length needed for oral inflation is wasted, again my opinion only.

With respect to the hose pull dump, DIR divers reject it as an unnecessary point of failure. I have had mine leak on a dive once, that was a real problem: I kept settling to the bottom of the river. I ended up pulling myself hand over hand up the mooring line to return to the boat.

If the lower pull dump leaks, you can finish the dive by tilting a little heads up and your jacket will hold air. If the hose pull dump leaks you could lose all buoyancy and have a rough time controlling your ascent. I would not like to have that happen on a wall with no bottom.

So failure may be very rare, but it could be catastrophic.

If you were closer, I would send you an elbow and corrugated hose in whatever length you wanted in trade for the pull dump you have. (I just bought 7 Travel Wings that came with the elbow, and I now have 7 elbows, I do not want. And I need dump elbows.)

If it is worth anything to you, I have never seen a pull dump fail other than from a tank falling on it. Corrugated hoses ripping in two: yes, Inflators crapping out: Yes, Bladder OPV's (actually pull dumps) leaking: yes, The junction point itself leaking: Yes, Corrugated hose pull dump sticking: No. Probably as much as any other reason, they don't fail because gravity clears the area between dives. The crap gathers in the inflator and the bottom of the BC where the butt dumps are.

Was that not because people were repeatedly yanking on the hoses to use the pull dump? :blinking:

There was a story in "Diver Down" about a guy that either got hurt or killed because his dump valve came unscrewed and he jumped off the boat overweighted with no way to inflate his bc. This is obviously an extreme case that never should have happened (easy check on the boat, don't dive overweighted), but it is a possibility. It's also possible that something can get in the mushroom valve while venting and prevent the wing from holding air. Certainly not likely, but possible.

I think the more plausible reason for removing the dump is for when you start to carry multiple stage/deco bottles, for the same reason you should remove the ball at the end of the butt dump. The corrugated hose can get pinched/pulled between two bottles and you can dump air when you really don't want to (e.g. low ceiling in a silt-prone area, inside a wreck/cave/etc). This is why I removed the pull dump from my wings. I also have very short corrugated hoses that end at the d-ring, retained with bungee, so the inflator mechanism itself is less likely to get caught in anything. For me, the fewer failure points and failure modes, the better.

Beano- I have a couple of DR pull dump elbows laying around if you want to trade for elbows :)

Changed my hose recently. Surprisingly, old horsecollar BCDs are a good source of spare parts. And really short corrugated hoses. Was also able to shorten my LPI hose (its the type that can be screwed and unscrewed together) to match the length of the corrugated hose. (this is DIY forum after all the :D )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom