Changes in my personal decompression regime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got home form a week at Innerpsace, a CCR event at Divetech in Grand Cayman. For the third year in a row DAN was there conducting field research on CCR divers doing deep dives. For the purpose of this study, deep was defined as below 230 feet. I was lucky enough to be able to participate in the study for the week.

We had some baseline info gathered such as ht, wt, body fat composition, written medical history, then had to do do as many push ups and sit ups as we could, and also had baseline blood drawn. Blood was drawn pre and post dives on days 1,3,4 and 6. The blood was being shipped out for another study looking at stress of decompression diving shown my the breakdown of materials in the blood (as i understood it).

After every dive we were scanned via TTE every 20 minutes x 2 hours, during this they would scan the heart at rest and then have us move various extremities contracting the muscles to see if the exertion pushed out any bubbles, then back to rest. They were looking for bubbles in either side of the heart and bubbles were scored 0-7 based on a scale that i cant remember the name of right now. 0 being none and 7 essentially a white out. The team was willing to share results with us and we were allowed to make changes based on our individual results.

I wanted to share my personal experience. At the start of the study I was diving a Shearwater predator set to 30/85. I have never had any niggles or DCS symptoms prior to this study. After my first two days of deep dives 330+ I had 3's and 4's on exertion at the 20 and 40 minute marks, that subsided and were clear by the two hour mark. (all right sided heart bubbles, no left sided bubbles ever for me). Based on that I spoke with Dr Pollock, who was running the study and he recommended extending my shallow stops. I then spoke to Bruce of Shearwater, who was also there, and he recommended changing the second number to a lower GF, say 70 or 75, to extend the shallow stops.

The second change I made was based off of a presentation the Dr Pollock gave the second night, where he talked about keeping your exertion level during deco similar to that of your dive. So if you are swimming lightly during your entire dive, then swim lightly at deco too, so that your perfusion rate is similar. I had always heard not to exert your self during deco. But what he said made sense. If my heart is working at a certain level during the dive and transporting gas at a certain rate maintaining that rate while off gassing made sense.

I continued to dive for four more days with dives in the the 200-330 range and one in the 450+ range and the results were my scans were now showing mostly 0's at rest and and 1's on exertion. I threw only one 2 during the remaining 4 days and that was my high score. So to me the results speak volumes.

The other thing i noticed is i felt less tired after the dives when I had changed my GF. I had always attributed my post dive "tiredness" up to being a relatively small female handling hundreds of pounds of gear. I now think at least part of it was post dive bubbles.

I realize that this was a very small amount of dives and data, but i think for me personally the results speak volumes. As getting out of the water as clean as possible is my goal.

Kim, great information - thanks for posting!

Question: did you get an opportunity to chat with other divers diving similar profiles as you, besides out normal gang, and were they getting similar test results? If so, did most divers applying that 30/70 setting work for then too?

I've always used 25/85, so I'm not too far off on the deep stop setting, but the shallow stop setting is off a bit more, 70 vs. 85. That's why I asked the question about other divers results, because I understand the individual nature of these results, but I was wondering if you observed any patterns? I like the idea of being conservative in the water, but I do get tired of looking at Jeff and Tony on the longer hangs!

This is a GREAT thread; Im so glad you posted this informative experience.

I've always used 25/85,

Why do you prefer the 25% GF for deep stops? Just curious as it seems it would make your first stop earlier and extend your deeper deco a bit.

That's a fantastic writeup Kim, thanks for sharing! Sounds like an awesome week of diving as well!

that's cool. I did some dives with Keith Gault of the NEDU last weekend and we did some experimental deco that amounted to cutting off about 40 minutes from the decoplanner time. I felt great after but wouldn't feel comfortable doing it without him in the water with me.
his tables are so complicated I can't even understand them.

Why do you prefer the 25% GF for deep stops? Just curious as it seems it would make your first stop earlier and extend your deeper deco a bit.

My first exposure to gradient factors was in July 2007 when I purchase my Optima Rebreather. Hammerhead Handsets on the Optima allow you to set your own custom gradient factor, but also come with 5 preprogrammed gradient factors the user can opt to choose from.

During my Optima training, the instructor gave us the option to set our own gradient factor; however, he suggested setting our handsets to the preprogrammed gradient factor of 25/85.

It made sence at the time, because I live and dive in south Florida, and the Hammerhead manual reads, "The third setting [25/85] is applicable to most divers with light workloads and warm waters."

Consequently, I've been diving that 25/85 GF ever since, including lots of deeper technical dives as deep as 260 feet, and it seems to have worked out ok so far.

Seems to me that everyone uses 20-35%. If you run the deco planner tables, there really isn't much difference in most normal tech diving schedules between even 25 and 35.

My first exposure to gradient factors was in July 2007 when I purchase my Optima Rebreather. Hammerhead Handsets on the Optima allow you to set your own custom gradient factor, but also come with 5 preprogrammed gradient factors the user can opt to choose from.

During my Optima training, the instructor gave us the option to set our own gradient factor; however, he suggested setting our handsets to the preprogrammed gradient factor of 25/85.

It made sence at the time, because I live and dive in south Florida, and the Hammerhead manual reads, "The third setting [25/85] is applicable to most divers with light workloads and warm waters."

Consequently, I've been diving that 25/85 GF ever since, including lots of deeper technical dives as deep as 260 feet, and it seems to have worked out ok so far.

OK, just thought there might have been a rationale behind it that I wasn't getting. Not like the difference is huge anyway, just seemed that based on my limited exposure to GFs that 25% isnt typical. Thanks for explaining :)

OK, just thought there might have been a rationale behind it that I wasn't getting. Not like the difference is huge anyway, just seemed that based on my limited exposure to GFs that 25% isnt typical. Thanks for explaining :)

10% delta on the GF-low is pretty small. 15% delta on the GF-high is a pretty substantial change (of course depends on profile).

Very interesting information, especially that he recommended extending the SHALLOW stops. I would have thought, given the theory of bubble formation and expansion, that bubble control would be better done deeper.

Back
Top Bottom