Chalk line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently picked up an $8.00 chalk line from Lowe's. It's plastic and fairly compact with 100 feet of line with a reel attached. I'm hoping it will work to launch my SMB from 30 feet or so. Has anyone else tried something similar?

The chalk lines I've used doing remodeling work around the house don't always unreel smoothly. I'd be hesitant shooting a lift bag with it in case it snagged and ripped it out of my hand. Changing the line may help but :idk:

Plus it's not much more compact than my finger spool and would be harder to store during the dive IMO.

My problem with the finger spool is it doesn't have a reel. Do they make a compact one with a reel??

it is all in tech proper training will solve your trouble.( the double brass snap is the reel) the cotton line will swell and fowl use the proper tool for the job

My problem with the finger spool is it doesn't have a reel. Do they make a compact one with a reel??

There are ways to improvise if this is really important to you. Simplest way is to clip the double ender through one of the holes in the edge of the spool for a handle and put a finger through the center for an axle.

Using it for an SMB you're probably not surfacing that fast anyway, so you've got plenty of time to wind the line up in whatever manner you choose. If you're using it while swimming, especially with a current pushing you, it can get a bit trickier.

Yeah, I tried to rig something up, but it appears to be a bad idea. I will buy the finger spool. Thanks, guys!!

If you are just looking to put up a "DON'T RUN ME OVER" marker buoy from a 15' or 20' stop, then the easiest and most compact thing is the very common surface signalling 4"x44" sausage with 25 or 30' of 2mm cord wrapped up around it, and a boltsnap as a weight.

40940d1193009284-what-use-line-spool-4-x-44-sausage-cord.jpg

Typically, I just drop the boltsnap and let it strip the line off the sausage. Then I send it up after orally inflating it. The sausage doesn't have an overpressure valve, but any excess air simply oozes through the fabric. I tested it by fully inflating it and sending it up from 100'.

Why do you need a reel for a SMB?----$10+ finger spool will do the trick...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom