Chainmail Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic_diver45

Contributor
Reaction score
I like to dive for shark's teeth and other Miocene fossils in the Chesapeake Bay off of the Calvert Cliffs fossil beds (I always snorkeled before but now that I'm going to be certified (finally), I figure what the heck, more bottom time, etc.) so I'm planning a return trip for sometime this summer. The problem is that every time I've gone out there I've always run into sandbar sharks and they seem to like they same area we fossil collectors do.

They've never given me any problems (actually I had more trouble with those damn rays the last time I was there in 2003) but the fact that the water is murky (I get excited when the viz is more than 18") and I value my fingers I've been debating buying a pair of chainmail gloves for protection, not only from the off-hand chance (NO PUN INTENDED) of bumping into a confused shark, but also because of the broken glass and nails that litter the bottom (I would recommend a tetanus booster before going anywhere near the water at Brownie's Beach, I've stop counting the number of cuts and pokes I've gotten there from glass and nails)

Anyone know where I can get a pair of these gloves?

How about neoprene glovse with Kevlar on the palms and fingers?

Try a butcher's supplier. Butchers use them when filleting. I toyed with this idea for wreck diving but they were way too expensive and only came singly, either left or right hand (the butcher holds the knife in the other hand). Buying one for each hand was silly money.

HTH

Thanks guys!

http://www.askthemeatman.com/cut_resistant_gloves.htm
"Whether you are a hasty Meatcutter, you have shaky hands or poor depth perception, these gloves are a must for preventing accidents!"

Uh, if you have shaky hands AND poor depth perception perhaps being a butcher isn't the job for you. And you should rule out neurosurgeon as well.

HICKDIVE
I think they would suit your purposes for wreck diving pretty well.

Personally, these are what we wear when we're extricating people from cars:
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=GL136&cat=443

They are pretty darn tough....I've had the pair I own for about 5 years now and they are just now starting to show signs of their age. They dry fairly easily and can be washed in a washing machine. Mine have been soaked in gas, had oil spilled on them, not to mention the normal wear and tear and dirt exposure. They do fit very well and don't hamper you from using your hands nearly as much as most gloves. I can pick up coins while wearing them.

Did you just respond to your own post with a recommendation, and address yourself in the second person?

:LOL: No....I was suggesting the gloves we wear for extrications to Hickdive......Sorry....The cold medicine is apparently affecting me more than I thought.

medic_diver45:
I always snorkeled before but now that I'm going to be certified (finally), I figure what the heck, more bottom time, etc.

Medic,

Glad you've decided to take the plunge :eyebrow: and get certified.

With your snorkeling experience in shallow black water, you're a natural for a PSD dive team!! Get your training, and then check it out!

Bob3 on this Board has some really nice Kevlar gloves and his price is good.

I've used the fisherman's bait-cutting gloves made out of Kevlar net. I put them on over my regular scuba gloves. They are cheap at Academy (local sportswear mega-chain), but because of the net construction, they can snag on sharp edges.

I'm a Diver Medic Technician, and a Public Safety Diving Instructor Trainer. PM me if you have any questions about this area of our "sport" that I might be able to help you with.

Cheers!

Rob Davie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom