Chac Mool vs. Dos Ojos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me Dos Ojos. I've done both and found it had more of what I enjoyed about the cenotes, stalactites and stalagmites. I though the vis was much better with my Dos Ojos expereince also. Don't get me wrong, Chac Mool was awesome, just liked Ojos better.

I'd have to go dive them both again before I could decide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

If you've never done a cenote dive, Dos Ojos because it seems to be very well known, it's easy and representative (not the word I'm think of. Archetypical?). Actually, if you've done others, Dos Ojos would be good to do simply because it's popular and would give you another point of common reference.

Personally I'd rather go back to Chac Mool than to Dos Ojos.

-Blair

Of all the cavern dives I did before I got cave trained, I liked Dos Ojos the best, because it had the most "cave diver" like sections to it.

Looking around, I have run into quite a few opinions that Chac Mool is to be avoided, for reasons unspecified, and not a single such opinion about Dos Ojos.

Why would some of you "suggest to avoid" Chac Mool ???

The halocline in Chac Mool can be offputting if you don't like that sort of thing. This one would be my preference based on the popularity of Dos Ojos... potentially less divers in Chac Mool.

The halocline in Chac Mool can be offputting if you don't like that sort of thing. This one would be my preference based on the popularity of Dos Ojos... potentially less divers in Chac Mool.

When I did Chac Mool the halocline was very stirred up and that zone was thick. Most of the dive was in that mixture which was not enjoyable.

Sinking through a halocline vertically like I did at Gran or Carwash is neat when there is a person below you. They get fuzzy then disappear then as you get into/through the halocline they get fuzzy then reappear.

My suggestion of the two you mention: Dos Ojos.

Another vague and iffy recollection is that Chac Mool seemed barren as far as the "terrain."

Last edited:
Looking around, I have run into quite a few opinions that Chac Mool is to be avoided, for reasons unspecified, and not a single such opinion about Dos Ojos.

Why would some of you "suggest to avoid" Chac Mool ???

In addition to the halocline itself being weird, the changing between fresh and salt water going through the haloclines can also be tough if you aren't able to manage the 5-6 lb buoyancy swing between the two. I'm not into caves at all (where are the FISH to watch??) but I thought the halocline was cool to see/experience. I can imagine though that a not very experienced diver might find the whole experience of Chac Mool disconcerting.

My advice would be to pick a cavern guide or operator that you can build a relationship with over time. Then go where ever they suggest. Then show them that you have good buoyancy skills and are a competent diver, and are a generally likeable person. Then on your next trip or the one after that you can get to dive cenotes like this:
Turn on HD, hook your computer to a big screen, turn off the lights,....

[vimeo]35518349[/vimeo]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom