CESA - why? I'll never run low on air!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of the modern EADs ive found require that much house keeping. Most ive seen dont require a constant power source (but without one you need to check the battery more often).

Even boats provide electricity in 12v/24v form and can easily be adapted to trickle charge an EAD when the boat is running.

Thalassamania:
Send me your old ones.:D Or donate them to your favorite dive boats.

Unfortunately, they'll have to be ACLS certified to use it...

Refurbished AED are running about $800 with a 2 year warrantee.... Anyone can use it.

The ones we carry don't need anything. We look at them every morning to ensure that it still reads "OK". We've had these for at least 3 years now. No plugging in. They sit in our jump bags on all the engines.

As to cost, I don't know for sure. I *think* they are a couple grand a piece. They might be less. I see the same models in malls and office buildings, so I don't think the cost is too far out there. I think if I was carrying one in a marine environment, I would have it a clear plastice box with some desicant.

As for using on a fibrillating diver, I bet everyone gets a jolt. Too much salt water everywhere.

Comrade Stroke

fisherdvm:
Wow, that's alot less headache than my stupid defibrillators. I think I'll just save some money by buying an AED and not have to worry about checking it or testing it.

Thats like our old ones. We had to have 2 batteries for each AED. One charging always. We had to run a manual test and swap batteries every morning. Real pain in the keister.

They were mounted in what I swear were re-painted GI ammo cans. :shakehead

Comrade

If they're under a kilobuck I'll buy one tomorrow and find a clear case for it.

OK, I'm a NOOB to diving, so I will preface this by saying that "I don't even know all of the things that I don't know yet"....

However, I personally live my life in accordance to two philosophies....

#1 - "Murphy has a law for a reason." Chyte happens, and with some people, quite often. And since I know this, I want to have all of my bases covered because Murphy likes to hang out at my heels quite often. I want to know how to do a CESA. Mostly because as a new diver, I don't know how fast or how slow I'm ascending, nor do I know (for fact) that a lung-full of air can get me to the surface if need be without actually performing this task. I know that I know absolutely nothing, and I readily admit it. Oh, my instructor can tell me something all day long, but I like to pretend I'm from Missouri - show me, prove it to me. This is how I learn, period. Nothing with me is taken on strict faith. And since I don't have gills, nor can I ever COMPLETELY depend on ANYONE else to be there when needed, I want to know how I can save my own skin & do so as safely as possible.

#2 - "When you know better, you do better." I know that I know nothing at this point as I've been certified OW for a whopping 5 days. But I do know that you have to learn how to crawl before you learn how to walk. Once you learn how to walk, there is little to no use for crawling anymore. But that doesn't mean you didn't NEED to learn how to do it, nor do you forget how to do so. I'm at the crawling stage of diving right now, which means that I'm learning how to control my bouyancy, my speed, my depth, everything. Tis far better CESA to be ingrained into my mind at this point, IMHO, than for me to freak out and drown or die because I'm a moronic NOOB and screwed up somehow. Once I learn to control my bouyancy, breathing, speed, etc there may be little or no use for a CESA in my diving future. Until then, I want a back up plan (for whatever reason), because I want to come home to my family at the end of dive...and not in a body bag.

fire_diver:
T
As for using on a fibrillating diver, I bet everyone gets a jolt. Too much salt water everywhere.

Comrade Stroke

Not really. There are things to consider but as long as some precautions taken its not an issue.

Rick: Thanks for the original post. It is thought provoking and well worth the read.

I don't understand why some people want to argue that its not possible to have control of yourself in an emergency.

Oh well, to each their own.

Thalassamania:
If they're under a kilobuck I'll buy one tomorrow and find a clear case for it.

I am getting a quote for 2 refurbished units for under $600 a piece. They are not meant for untrained individuals, because they were intended for health care folks. They are called semi-automatic,and will print an EKG strip too..

An idiot proof version is $800 on ebay.

mdb:
Rick: Sure you were not surprised. The folks who think CESA is not necessary and their "teams" etc are the answer will continue to post the same stuff over and over.

I've done 3-4 CESA's over the past 35 years. Glad that I had practiced. As you pointed out in your OP, it is just one more tool. Nothing more complicated than that.

Exactly. Over the years I've collected some very specialized tools that I've only used a couple of times. They sit quietly in my tool box until I need them. And when I need them its great to have them. Why would I throw them out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom