Certification-Which One?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Properly used, today’s modular training can maximize aquatic proficiency while still maintaining academic validity. ...
That's were we part company. There is no doubt that "today's modular training" can increase aquatic proficiency over what most of the rather poorly qualified and under skilled instructors who are out there could do on their own, but the use of terms like "maximize" aquatic proficiency should be left to the copy advertisement writers and others who have never seen what maximized aquatic proficiency really looks like. As far as "academic validity" is concerned ... ditto.

I've actually mailed PADI and asked if I would be allowed to add surfacing with an unconscious diver to my OW course. We'll see what answer I get.

For some reason I have a feeling I might be allowed to teach it, but not make it a requirement for passing.

When they let you put all of learning objectives of A/OW, PPB, rescue, navigation, oxygen administration, real CPR and EAN into an entry level course, then drop me a line, and we can have a real discussion of aquatic proficiency and academic validity.

Till then, let me know what they say about surfacing an unconscious diver. If PADI says that's OK, what do you intend to tell you students about what they should do once they get said unconscious diver to the surface?

If PADI says that's OK, what do you intend to tell you students about what they should do once they get said unconscious diver to the surface?

Get them buoyant, tow and shout for help, I'd probably get both PADI and the LDS on my back if I also added/required proper rescue breathing, equipment removal, exit methods, and so on. I'll also mention in no uncertain terms that they really should do the full rescue course as well as EFR or equivalent if they ever intend to dive without personel that are certified in those fields available at the surface. Unlike adding the whole rescue course in, I can add surfacing an unconscious diver with only making the course an hour or two longer.

I've actually mailed PADI and asked if I would be allowed to add surfacing with an unconscious diver to my OW course. We'll see what answer I get.

kaerius, I do admire your optimism. I believe that the hammer of reality is coming your way, though...

Till then, let me know what they say about surfacing an unconscious diver. If PADI says that's OK, what do you intend to tell you students about what they should do once they get said unconscious diver to the surface?

Exactly. Surfacing isn't everything - it is the middle step. If your encounter an apparently unresponsive diver, floating face-down and oblivious to all around him, ascertain responsiveness by, say, pinching the neck - you wouldn't want to mistake a photographer for an unconscious diver (this has been known to happen). Once you get to the surface, you will have to deal with the unconscious diver while initiating an emergency response while possibly dragging him towards shore. Etc..

Kaerius, more power to you.

If your encounter an apparently unresponsive diver, floating face-down and oblivious to all around him, ascertain responsiveness by, say, pinching the neck - you wouldn't want to mistake a photographer for an unconscious diver (this has been known to happen).

I was taught to, and will pass on, simply swimming up to an apparent victim and waving a hand in front of the mask. No need to pinch people. :p

Hm ... we havin' some problems with what constitutes aquatic proficiency and academic validity?

I was taught to, and will pass on, simply swimming up to an apparent victim and waving a hand in front of the mask. No need to pinch people. :p

The best advice that I was given was to, whenever possible, take the camera away. Even comatose photographers have been known to respond to this stimulus.

For some reason I have a feeling I might be allowed to teach it, but not make it a requirement for passing.

The fact that you have to ask highlights the differences in how the program may be taught. It's not just the instructor that contributes to the excellence of any training program, it's the curriculum. PADI has many excellent instructors that are restricted in what they can teach OW students by the agency.

In other agencies, the instructor can add whatever they feel is warranted and in-fact are encouraged to do so by their agency. These additions are a requirement for certification. If the instructor feels it a necessary skill, why wouldn't the student have to show an acceptable level of competence in that skill to be certified???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom