Certification-Which One?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one with the better instructor--------but now you'll have to get an even harder question answered, "which one has the better instructor?"

I would ask around locally & go with the one that gets the better recomendations....

Yeah they're great, especially for entry level divers. I still wouldn't want to drop them off as a buddy pair at a divesite that's more difficult to navigate than "just circle the pinnacle and you'll get back to the buoy line". I've personally dived with (just started) DMTs that got lost if they had to cross sand between reefs, even though they knew how to use their compas, had been briefed, including shown a map, and told the degrees to go.

Sounds like the DMT was either having a bad day or is missing some basic skills.

I know of instructors who are instructor with less then 200 dives.

From my article: "There is no question the divers of the 21st century have enjoyed a cultural shift to independent study and online learning. Rather than bemoan the lessening of time in the classroom, instructors should embrace the additional time it provides, to teach where it is most valuable: in the water. Properly used, today’s modular training can maximize aquatic proficiency while still maintaining academic validity."

Please also understand that we are limited by length of the feature and editorial control as to what makes the final copy...and it was pitched by Scuba Diving Mag as a theoretical article, not a discussion on which water skills should be taught...

Fair enough.
To be honest, I was more disappointed by Bob Brayman's side of the article than yours, as I would lean more on his side but still felt his arguments unconvincing.

I keep hearing "It's the Instructor NOT the Agency!" I can't help in a way from shaking my head. :shakehead: Yes, a good instructor can do GREAT things, BUT s/he has to work within the limitations of the agency they teach for. For example, if I taught for an agency that said teach this and you may teach NOT teach X, Y or Z in your course and another instructor was unrestricted, how would the instructor make the big difference? If I'm prohibited from teaching rescue to a basic/OW program and another instructor can teach anything he wants above and beyond the minimum, how does this play into the equation?

Good instructors are better than those less qualified, but who the instructor teaches for is a BIG variable. Do not be deceived. Divers looking for training DON'T KNOW the limitations that the instructor is under. Even the instructors themselves avoid coming to grips with this.

...but no, surfacing with an unconscious diver... isn't in the PADI OW class.

No, but it IS part of every other initial diver training program that's offered by every other diver training agency worldwide (of which I'm aware). Why do you suppose that is?

So, you're against PADI then. I doubt there's one in a hundred that has navigation down pat after 4 dives. And any rescue excercises beyond providing an octopus or cramp removal are in a con-ed course(rescue). They're taught the buddy system, and looking out for signs of nitrogen narcosis, but no, surfacing with an unconscious diver, and providing in-water rescue breaths isn't in the PADI OW class.
I would never recommend a class that produced such poorly qualified divers. - Ditto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom