Certification Transferabilities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyberblade

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am currently PADI AOW, but my LDS is NAUI. I'm in the middle of a rescue course with them. My instructor is a very knowledgeable guy, and I'm really wanting to continue up to at least master diver, perhaps instructor with him. I know that for OW/AOW you can transfer certifications fairly easily. I can't seem to find out how (if at all possible) one would transfer any of the higher level certifications. This particularly interests me because most jobs are for PADI instructors, not NAUI-but I really want to train with my current instructor.

Any/all advice is appreciated.

Then train with him. NAUI leaves most of the evaluation of what previous certifications are worth up to the instructor with words like, "or eqivalent experience."

Then train with him. NAUI leaves most of the evaluation of what previous certifications are worth up to the instructor with words like, "or eqivalent experience."

Well, I'm planning on continuing with him... You're saying that if I reach instructor with him it's up to whomever else to accept that for PADI or not? I'm not quite understanding.

Sorry, I thought your concern was what NAUI would give you credit for completing. IF you become a NAUI Instructor, you'd have to do a cross over and buy ALL the PADI material back to O/W to be consideered qualified to turn on the PADI video.:D

Sorry, I thought your concern was what NAUI would give you credit for completing. IF you become a NAUI Instructor, you'd have to do a cross over and buy ALL the PADI material back to O/W to be consideered qualified to turn on the PADI video.:D

Oh, I see. Yeah, NAUI has no problem accepting my AOW.

So, to do the crossover I'd have to buy all the material... What's the cost for that? Will I have to redo any dives? I'm also going to be doing Nitrox/Trimix/Wreck/etc. Are those easier to transfer?

Edit: Or would it be easier to transfer PADI instructor to NAUI?

Oh, I see. Yeah, NAUI has no problem accepting my AOW.

So, to do the crossover I'd have to buy all the material... What's the cost for that? Will I have to redo any dives? I'm also going to be doing Nitrox/Trimix/Wreck/etc. Are those easier to transfer?

Edit: Or would it be easier to transfer PADI instructor to NAUI?
Much harder to go PADI to NAUI in terms of what you have to know and to do.

Ok. That's what I'd figured. Any idea on cost/dives needed to cross over instructor?
PADI to NAUI is variable, I used to do it for free, just the fees to NAUI (don't know what they are right now). NAUI to PADI ... 'fraid I never checked into it.

Why would you want to transfer OW and AOW? Just do NAUI CPR, Rescue and MSD and be done with it.

You don't need to transfer anything anywhere. Most certs issued by most agencies are recognized by other agencies. If you want to eventually become an instructor, it is a little different. There are agencies that will issue an instructor cert with proof of a current instructor cert from another agency and a check. However, most agencies require a crossover program. This is where you learn about their standards. You would also have to complete the instructor examination for whatever agency/ies you want to teach for. Before you get too set on completing all your training with your current instructor, you need to find out if he can even train instructors. For PADI, only course directors can train instructors. For NAUI, they are called instructor trainers. If your current instructor is not an IT, then you won't be able to get your instructor training from him. Now, if you're looking to work somewhere as an instructor, then your best option is to train at that location. If you want to travel and work, and you're finding most instructor jobs are PADI, then just become a PADI instructor. It will cost you a lot less in the long run. Most instructor development courses run about $1300-1700, plus materials $600-800, plus instructor examination $500, plus agency fee and liability insurance $800. So, after you get your divemaster rating, you will be looking at about $3500 plus a lot of time involvement. Add another $2000 + (materials, course fee, exam, agency fee) for a crossover program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom