Certification steps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dammann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have AOW and Nitrox and am wanting to take the NAUI rescue course, how long does that usually take? And what courses must one take to aquire Master?

It's odd that a NAUI instructor hasn't jumped in here.

My guess is that you need to meet the course requirements here: NAUI Worldwide Master Scuba Diver So, you need AOW and you make 8 dives during the MSD program. Since you can only make 3 per day, it takes at least 3 days.

I would also guess that NAUI Rescue is going to be similar to PADI in that there will be a long day in the pool followed by a series of scenarios in open water (PADI is 4 dives). There is also a classroom session.

Back in '88, the sequence was OW I (5 dives), OW II (6 dives), Advanced OW (8 dives) and Rescue (1 skin dive and 2 LONG OW sessions). In later years, this sequence could be traded in for the current MSD although back then, there were even more dives required for MSD which is now Gold MSD and no longer offered AKAICT.

So, I would expect the number of dives to come out about the same and it's true because the current MSD program is 8 dives which accounts for the old Advanced OW.

Rescue is required for PADI MSD but it's not clear to me that it is required for NAUI. But NAUI doesn't require specialties to get to MSD because they make up for it in the MSD course. PADI requires 5 specialties (some of which don't require getting your hair wet) but they don't have an actual MSD course.

I don't recall the details of the NAUI Rescue course but I do remember that we had to be First Aid and CPR certified. That is the same for PADI. PADI offers a course for First Aid and CPR but you can get it anywhere you wish.

For NAUI, MSD is a certification. For PADI it is only recognition that you have taken 5 specialties. Huge difference! In the NAUI program, you have to swim for your card.

Richard

Last edited:
Don't know about your steps.

SSI has AOW which is four specialties plus dive history, plus 24 dives.

The "master diver" is different from a Dive Master/DiveCon.

SSI Master diver is AOW, 50 dives, plus Stress & Rescue. DiveCon is the DiveCon training, tests, and water skills, plus AOW, plus dive numbers, plus having to have insurance and work through dive facility. You must also have first aid, CPR, and O2 provider training. Not a walk in the park, but a great course.

SSI has a "Dive Master", which is little more than a Dive Guide.

Last edited:
SSI sounds similiar to SDI. Rescue Diver is typically oriented to the diver wanting to head toward the Professional track of Divemaster/Divecon. However - at SDI - Rescue is a required couse for Master Diver. According to SDI Standards, 12 hours are suggested for the course, with 8 hours (minimum suggested) open water - in addition to the pre-requisite of Advanced Diver Certification, or 40 logged Open Water dives.

I know a different agency - but hope this helps!

Dive Safe.

Last edited:
I have AOW and Nitrox and am wanting to take the NAUI rescue course, how long does that usually take? And what courses must one take to aquire Master?

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post. I just noticed it.

To be able to participate in the NAUI Rescue Course you need to be OW certified, AOW certified, First Aid/CPR certified, be Oxygen Trained, and participate in a completion of diving skills. Your Instructor may add other skills, tasks, or requirements as they deem necessary. At least 4 OW sessions are required during the Rescue course. The number of academic sessions are determined by your Instructor. Given all of that, it is difficult to say how long it will take to complete your Rescue training. The training however is worth the effort.

To take the Master Scuba Diver course you must be AOW certified, complete a minimum of 8 dives during the MSD course, complete all academic sessions as required by your Instructor, and successfully pass the written exam.

I hope this helps as a guide to your next step towards diving education.

Your question is best answered by the Dive Shop that provides the class. For PADI, it is two days of pool/class room to get both the rescue, and the CPR done (actually it may have been two half days). Then it is two days of dives, 2 dives a day.

You COULD take a PADI class if you so desired, but if you want to use NAUI, by all means do that.

I think PADI requires 25 dives to complete rescue, class dives count. I don't know if NAUI has a #dives requirement, but I'm guessing they do.

Rescue is a great class, and well worth the time/effort/expense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom