Certification Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My OW class is 400 and includes materials, cert fees, and checkout dives for 2 or more students. Personal gear is not included. Unless the student knows for sure what type of diving they want to do a year from now I try not to sell them a BC, regs, etc.

If they do want to buy their own I first ask them what they want to spend. What's their budget and what can they actually afford? I can put someone in a set of cold water regs and a BC (BPW) that will do anything they want to do as long as they dive for around $1000. Not including a dive computer. Which they really don't need starting out anyway if they have a watch and depth gauge. If they do want a computer I tell them to go to Leisure Pro and buy one that's on sale for under $200.

$2500 for new diver gear is nuts. Even if it's high-end gear because the chances are a year from now you'll not be using it or wishing you had something else.

I get sick of seeing new divers being taken advantage of in this way. Mainly because I was. I did buy a used reg but paid too much for it. Didn't know that at the time. Shop made sure I was not told about online sales, other agencies, and as a result, I ended up spending more than 2500 on a BC, reg, computer, two steel tanks, and other gear that 6 months to a year later was sold or gathering dust on a shelf at home.

As for further training, my Advanced Class is $450 and that is for materials, cert fee, and my time. It does not include quarry or boat fees, equipment, fills, etc. But my advanced class is not a taste or tour of advanced dives. There are minimum entry and exit requirements and each dive gives new skills and knowledge. I pick all six of the dives and each one uses the preceding one as a foundation.

I prefer that students take a rescue class first, however. An advanced class is used by operators and resorts to relieve themselves of liability and put people on dives and sites they often have no business being on. So a rescue cert first is one way to mitigate risk by increasing a divers situational awareness and giving them the knowledge and skills to prevent an accident and if necessary respond to one when it happens.

My rescue class is 2 pool sessions, 2 classroom sessions plus on-site classroom at the dive site, and two days of open water training. I need at least 2 students to make it go and the class is the lowest priced class I offer except for nitrox. The rescue class is 175.00 - 195.00 depending on location and number of students. I don't use it to make money. I use it to reduce accidents and create safer divers. I also don't want anyone to use the "I can't afford it" line to not take a rescue class.

Other classes do reflect the time I need to put in and the quality of the training I feel I offer. I'm not the cheapest in my area but I don't try to gouge people. In my books, I give people a complete and transparent look at my methods and rationale for why I teach the way I do. I have no desire to put large numbers of people in the water or get rich off of doing this. I do want every diver I train to be someone I'd let my kids dive with if I wasn't there. Knowing they'd be in good hands. If I can't say that about a student, they don't get the card until I can.

yikes, I think I may have been ripped off my local dive shop charged $3000 for both my new gear and for the open water certification and they want $700 just for the advanced certification through PADI :(
Unless they are including boat fees, lodging, meals, and letting you pick all of your dives and guaranteeing this is not a taste or tour of "advanced" dives, 700 bucks is nuts for a by the book PADI AOW. Now, if it includes boat dives, extensive classroom, use of large cylinders and a redundant air supply for the deep dive as well as training in emergency deco, gas management, and if not done from a boat, site entry fees it's not unreasonable. But if the dives are fluff dives like boat diver when you are diving from a boat, altitude, Fish ID, etc. and you are not getting training in using SAC and RMV, emergency deco, use of redundant air supplies, and suitable cylinders for the deep dive, I'd not let my kid take the class.

Shop made sure I was not told about online sales

You were lucky to have the internet when you shopped for gear. :wink:

I had to go to actual scuba shops and shop used ads in the dallas morning news, then go see it in person to decide on it. lol

My 1st dive PC was a US Divers M1 like this and it was$ 400 in 1990 - prices have definitely come DOWN

s-l300.jpg

Okay tell me if Im nuts I am buying the following for me:
Women’s

AquaLung Soul i3 BCD Medium Black/Charcoal/Twilight $699.99
Aqualung Legend LX resperator Twilight normally $785 got a deal for $575 new in box
AquaLung Legend Octopus $235
AquaLung 2 Gauge Console Imperial $205
AquaLung Shot FX Open Heel Fins Small Twilight $169
Atomic Venom Frameless Mask, Black Skirt Black/Black $169.95
Aqua Lung Squeeze Lock Titanium Knife, Tanto Tip Black $64.95
Oceanic B.U.D. Backup Dive Computer, Yellow Yellow $199.95
Oceanic Pro Plus 3 Computer with Compass, QD & USB Cable $583.96
Bigblue AL1200NP 1200 Lumens LED Light $159.99
AquaLung Impulse 3 Flex Snorkel Black/Twilight $49.99
Aqua Lung Ergo Neoprene 3mm Low Top Socks with Grip Small $24.00
sharkskin ladies chillproof short pants for scuba size 4 $79.99
Sharkskin ladies chillproof short sleeve size 8 $97.46

Waiting for 2 quotes from dive shops to see what they can do.

Also buying hubbys gear all about the same prices though.

Open water was $359 with books
AOW was $349 plus books
Rescue was same as AOW

All of the above also included fills and boat charter fees.

None of this included any gear. I don't want to think about how much I spent on gear. :eek:

Probably cheaper than other places because this is South FL and there are plenty of dive shops competing.

Fine gear, Melanie, but that's a boatload of money. I guess you know you could get a set of perfectly adequate gear for much less? A $50 snorkel? A $65 knife? But if you're the type who always buys supposed "top of the line" stuff because it makes you feel good, go for it.

Fine gear, Melanie, but that's a boatload of money. I guess you know you could get a set of perfectly adequate gear for much less? A $50 snorkel? A $65 knife? But if you're the type who always buys supposed "top of the line" stuff because it makes you feel good, go for it.

Any recommendations? Buying soon only thing I have bought already is the regulator.

Your list doesn't seem nuts, but there are a few items that seems like overkill.

You probably don't need a backup computer at your level of diving. I'd save that $200.

The titanium knife... I see why you're considering it, and the blunt tip is a good idea. That being said, unless you're gonna crack open some sea urchins and feed the fish, it's likely that you will do little cutting underwater that can't be done with a set of paramedic shears or a dedicated linecutter (e.g. Eezycut Trilobite) at a fraction of the cost.

The Atomic mask is nice...but it's definitely a luxury mask. Fit is the important thing. If the mask fits really well, then shell out for it, but don't buy the mask just because it's an Atomic. Try on every mask that your shop offers; a cheaper one might fit even better.

The snorkel... I just can't see spending $50 on one.

Have a good time diving!

Women’s

AquaLung Soul i3 BCD Medium Black/Charcoal/Twilight $699.99
Aqualung Legend LX resperator Twilight normally $785 got a deal for $575 new in box
AquaLung Legend Octopus $235
AquaLung 2 Gauge Console Imperial $205
AquaLung Shot FX Open Heel Fins Small Twilight $169
Atomic Venom Frameless Mask, Black Skirt Black/Black $169.95
Aqua Lung Squeeze Lock Titanium Knife, Tanto Tip Black $64.95
Oceanic B.U.D. Backup Dive Computer, Yellow Yellow $199.95
Oceanic Pro Plus 3 Computer with Compass, QD & USB Cable $583.96
Bigblue AL1200NP 1200 Lumens LED Light $159.99
AquaLung Impulse 3 Flex Snorkel Black/Twilight $49.99
Aqua Lung Ergo Neoprene 3mm Low Top Socks with Grip Small $24.00
sharkskin ladies chillproof short pants for scuba size 4 $79.99
Sharkskin ladies chillproof short sleeve size 8 $97.46

Waiting for 2 quotes from dive shops to see what they can do.

Also buying hubbys gear all about the same prices though.

BPW custom fitted to you and your hubby 425 each or less depending on extras
Sealed cold water diaphragm reg (1st and 2nd stage) with octo with SPG and hoses 575.00 or with 2 gauge console 625.00
Have you tried the venom mask? Do you know it fits? If not, you may be spending 170.00 on a paperweight when you could have gotten a mask that actually fits for 50 bucks or so.
Personally I'd go for a simple paddle fin for under a $100 sold by many companies instead of a 170 fin that you may not like.
You don't need the knife. Get an EezyCut trilobite for 25 bucks.
If you are buying the Pro Plus you don't need a console. It is a console with air integration via the hose.
You'd don't really need the BUD but if you want a back up it runs the same algorithm as the ProPlus
For all that's holy, do not buy that god awful snorkel. It's ok for snorkeling. Maybe. But a $15 j tube that rolls up and fits in your pocket is much more useful.
As for the socks, why? you can't use them with the fins. They are for full foot fins. For open heel fins, you need boots.
5-6mm neoprene boots that are around 40 bucks.
So what I just did is take your total for the BC and regs from 1714.00 to 1000.00
Less actually since you want an integrated computer. so add 782 for the computers. Taking you to 2496.00
Or you could go with a wrist unit like the Oceanic Veo for 240 with the other gear I noted and you are at under 1300.00
Basically, with my choice, I can put you and your hubby in the same gear for what you are going to spend on yours alone. The gear I would choose if you decide you don't like diving could be sold in the 1st year for up to 70% of what you paid for it. Your gear? That $700 BC? You might get 250 out of it.

Hey there!
I'm new to diving, I just got my open water certification through PADI. I really want to continue with more certifications but I want to budget myself for it too.
I was wondering what other people paid for their open water certification and for their advanced cert, and other certs.

My OW class was a long time ago.

You’ll get a lot of different answers, but the devil is in the details. While you mention PADI, I’m going to make this generic.

So many things affect the price including,but not limited to:
- cost of pool time
- number of hours put in by the instructor
- quality of equipment provided
- number of dives (some add)
- courses included (such as enriched air and dry suit)

Also, side bar, I don't know anyone else that dives so how have you all found dive partners? Is there a forum or another board for that somewhere??

Thanks in advance!
I’d look at meetup.com, dive shop that hold shop dives, FB dive groups

Back
Top Bottom