Certification Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

see if you can find a cmas/bsac style dive club for aow. i did mine that way and it was less than 100. just had to cover the padi cert fee and the book.

But in my experience thus far PADI certifications do seem to be a bit more expensive compared to the other agencies I've certified through (NAUI & NASE).

PADI does charge a bit more for their materials but the quality of their materials is also much higher too (NAUI books not bad either). I offer PADI & NASE certifications and it is a matter of matching the customer to the product. Some people put a lot of value in a high quality full-color printed text book and others don't care if they have a book at all. (Not that it is the only difference)

Last edited:
There's wildly different qualities and costs for training and equipment. Deciding what value is right for you is pretty personal.

Some factors between two identical sounding AOW courses include instructor's experience and teaching ability, location, dive site costs , convenience of schedule, and classroom students ratios.

You'll get the same card at the end, but the value can be greatly different.

Same goes for equipment.

I meet buddies on scubaboard or at dive sites.

Enjoy,
Cameron

IMO PADI is behind the que ball on moving forward. My OW and AdvOW are both through PADI I couldn't tell you where my books are I might be able to find them but they are way out of date. But with the digital stuff I can go to my phone pretty much anywhere and pull up the latest and most up to date material right in my hand. It's also a lot cheaper.

PADI does charge a bit more for their materials but the quality of their materials is also much higher too (NAUI books not bad either). I offer PADI & NASE certifications and it is a matter of matching the customer to the product. Some people put a lot of value in a high quality full-color printed text book and others don't care if they have a book at all. (Not that it is the only difference)
Their materials might be a little better when it comes to actual hard copies of books, etc. But I have to disagree with the actual training. For that matter, NASE, too. Having just taken both the NASE and NAUI Rescue courses, I think I got more out of the material NAUI presented than I did the NASE stuff. Especially when it came to the actual tests, etc. Half the questions on the NASE test weren't covered anywhere in the learning material. Ultimately we ended up earning Rescue certifications for both agencies because we did the required skills for each. I just didn't feel the NASE stuff covered everything I needed to know in depth the way the NAUI material did. Same with PADI for open water. But that's just my opinion.

I couldn't tell you where my books are I might be able to find them but they are way out of date. But with the digital stuff I can go to my phone pretty much anywhere and pull up the latest and most up to date material

I like looking back at my old books sometimes but these days I suggest everyone take the elearning, You have access to the e-book for life and if there is an update then you also have access to the updated version. I know PADI & NASE include the ongoing updates. Not sure if others do but wouldn't be surprised if everyone does.

I am buying all my gear and hubbies gear minus weights and tanks and spending right at 6000 or a little more. And we spent $265 each to get our open water certification.

I am buying all my gear and hubbies gear minus weights and tanks and spending right at 6000 or a little more. And we spent $265 each to get our open water certification.
I've got right around $7k in mine and my wife's gear. But that's with two Ocean Reef FFMs, one tank, and weights.

Most recent full set of cold water scuba gear I bought for a friend came to 440$ (360USD) including inspection and maintenence to get the equipment ready to dive.

Another buddy spent 700 bucks (640USD) on only a wetsuit 3 days ago less suitable for the dive conditions.

He too is happy with his purchase.

Last edited:
yikes, I think I may have been ripped off my local dive shop charged $3000 for both my new gear and for the open water certification and they want $700 just for the advanced certification through PADI :(

My area (Northern Virginia)...for PADI OW...you're looking at $650-700 for the class + cert dives.

Looking around at gear...depending on what you got...$2,300 might not be bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom