Certification in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok then :wink:

Make sure the shop you go thru knows your plans and they provide you with the referral paperwork.

justleesa:
Moving this to the Ohana Forum

What you want to do is called a referral certification. You do the paperwork, the classroom and confined water stuff at a local dive shop and then complete the 4 (or 5 - depending on which agency you get certified with) on Maui.

And tsk, tsk, tsk that they took you to 60' on your discover dives :(

What Lisa said is correct. I would use either B&B or Shaka Doug.

Honestly, I have not heard anyone complain about Maui Dreams... except *maybe* to say they make sure you learn what you're supposed to. There's no "paper" certs being issued there.

I have done well over 50 dives with the people there, and can say that they're in it for the right reason -- they love to dive.

I haven't heard anyone complain much about B&B, though I'm not too keen on the whole boat-dives-for-confined-water-diving type stuff.

BTW, it doesn't sound like you're looking for a referral -- you can do all your dives here... Maui Dreams does it over 3 days, with 1 dive the first day, then two each on the next days. They'll send you the books to do the reading ahead of time, which you will review after the first dive.

What dates are you going to be here?

justleesa:
If they want to do the Prework (class and confined water stuff) at home it is a referral.
Yes... I didn't hear "prework" as "confined water" -- just the book work, which (the way Maui Dreams does it) only takes an hour or two on-island to review the Knowledge Reviews and do the exams.

They will ship out the books, so the reading and KR's can be done ahead of time, then it's just going over them.

As for confined water -- MDDC does it as "confined open-water" -- it's still at the beach, with fish swimming around, but in shallow (10-15') water, with the rest of the tank used to explore the reef.

Depends on where you are staying. We went to Maui back in April and stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua. Kapalua Dive company is right on property and they were great. I did AOW with them and it was nice to get up, have breakfast with wife and kids, get them settled at the pool, and then wander down to the beach and go diving. Nice bunch of folks. We did the boat and deep dives with Lahaina Divers and they were great as well.

If you are going to be in kihei i would love to do your open water checkouts(referral). I am an instructor for maui dive shop. If you have some ?'s feel free to private message me. Even if you choose another shop i would be glad to answer any ?'s. Anyone of the people metioned so far i would recommed also. I am an instructor for PADI and SSI and can also complete referrals for some other training agencies. Good Luck!
Aloha

LiveforDiving:
Have a look at these folks: http://www.sfscubaschools.com/

They do a LOT of referrals (They call it the Tropical Referral Program on their site), and are partners with BB scuba on Maui, in fact the owner of the SF school (Craig Gillespie) originally owned the Maui school scuba and taught Brad (The current owner) to dive.

I took some classes with them and they are really great, they made the referral process (All the knowledge development and pool work) easy and even set up all the dates on Maui for me.

Living

Aloha LiveforDiving,

Just a few corrections if I may:wink: ...B&B Scuba is not the same as Maui School Scuba. B&B has always been called B&B Scuba and not any other name. Brad has always been the owner.

Craig sends his referral students who want to finish their cert. class on Maui, to us, all the time. And it is true, Craig certified Brad.

Take care,
Blesi Varney
B&B Scuba

Hey it's Blesi, see ya in an hour :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom