Certification in Honolulu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sarangel

New
Reaction score
Hi!

My husband and I will be coming to Hawaii for the week of the fourth of July. We have already taken a full scuba diving course, and are hoping to complete our certification dive there in Hawaii. We will bring a student referral.

We are hoping to do our certification dive while in Honolulu, and then we'll be able to dive in Maui when we head there later in the week.

Any ideas for dive shops to do our certification dive? Anyone you suggest we avoid? Any other advice?

Thanks so much for your response!

Sarangel:
Hi!

My husband and I will be coming to Hawaii for the week of the fourth of July. We have already taken a full scuba diving course, and are hoping to complete our certification dive there in Hawaii. We will bring a student referral.

We are hoping to do our certification dive while in Honolulu, and then we'll be able to dive in Maui when we head there later in the week.

Any ideas for dive shops to do our certification dive? Anyone you suggest we avoid? Any other advice?

Thanks so much for your response!

Aloha Sarangel-

Welcome to ScubaBoard and the wonderful world of diving! It is truly amazing to be able to visit a completely different world!

I agree- very wise choice in finishing the the class/pool at home.... Was it a PADI shop?

Please keep in mind the flying after diving rule when setting up your Open Water check out dives!!! You do really want to complete them prior to going to Maui. The diving there is awesome too!

There are many dive companies on the island of Oahu. Please select carefully! A good operator will give you a great dive experience, not just take you and have you do your skills! There are some good ones, & of course some bad ones- please keep in mind that the biggest does not mean the best!

I am a dive operator & instructor on Oahu- so I will refrain from suggesting anyone here and hope that you will give us the opportunity to take you both diving!

On Maui- there is great shore diving on the south and west sides and even better boat dives available. Something else that I would like to suggest is that you have a guide- it is well worth the extra investment. A local experienced guide will be able to show you many things that could have been missed. Additionally they know the in's & out's of each dive spot- where to park, best entrance, best exits, where the critters live, and not to mention be there to help out with any issues that could arise.... Remember they are out there everyday!

I have heard very good things about Ed Robinson's company on Maui. Although you will want to contact them directly yourself, and ensure that you feel comfortable with them.

If we can offer anymore info- please let us know!

Mahalo!

Chris Wade

While on Maui, I'd suggest looking at Maui Dreams Dive Co. (http://www.mauidreamsdiveco.com/) for all your shore dive needs... for boat dives, I've really enjoyed Ed Robinson's, though I've heard great things about Mike Severn's and B&B Scuba. Also: don't be dazzled by the "Maui Dive Shops" that are everywhere -- while their locations are convenient, their service is often lacking.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom