Question Certification cards!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a shop can't deal with an electronic card/picture, they deserve to go out of business, IMO.
Exactly. Like it or not, time and technology progresses. I messed around a little more with my certs on my SSI app. I downloaded one to my phone just to see how it looks. Turns out, it has a QR code that I never really noticed before, since I rarely access my ecards, or physical cards. I may have to check the physical cards to see if they do as well.

I scanned the QR code with another phone to see where it would take me. It does what I would want it to do. The person scanning the code will be taken to a confirmation site. The site prompts for a birthdate for verification. When I entered that information, it pulled up a page showing all SSI certifications I have (with one exception). The Op that would access could then print or save for their records. So overall, I don't have any issues with the way SSI handles this, though I do understand the challenges for those with multiple agencies/apps.

The one cert in my case that is missing is my EAN cert. I kind of expected that, as this was done back in 2003 or 2004 and SSI has made changes since then. When I completed Deep, Night/Limited, and Nav, my instructor had issues in generating the AOW due to the age of the EAN cert. My AOW recognition card does list EAN, so I wouldn't expect any issues related to this.

This is the 21st century. (Almost) everyone has a smartphone. If an agency provides an eCard, you will probably have the app on your phone. No dive op would be difficult if you show your cards through the app. It’s better than a picture even though pictures can be useful.
Except that not every agency provides one.

Also, most agencies charge a large fee for their e-cards. Many folks find that fee to be offensive. Issuing e-cards cost nothing yet most agencies charge their customers a fairly steep fee.

TDI/SDI doesn’t use an app and the cards are saved as PDF’s on my phone. SSI uses an app but I have my Mod 2 card saved as an image. The only one that I’m stuck with using an app is PADI but I rarely have to show one of those cards.
Thankfully TDI/SDI and IANTD still issue plastic cards.

Personally I'd like to use a cheap burner phone when I go away on holiday. Don't want calls when I'm out, nor do I want to loose my life because some scumbag's stolen my expensive "phone".

Except that not every agency provides one.

Also, most agencies charge a large fee for their e-cards. Many folks find that fee to be offensive. Issuing e-cards cost nothing yet most agencies charge their customers a fairly steep fee.

That’s one of the thing I really like about SDI/TDI. No extra charge for e-cards. You don’t need to use an app for e-cards. They also now provide a pdf of the hard copy course manual when doing eLearning. Not sure if this is for all courses yet, though.

Wait!

You guys are getting certified to dive…
Yeah...but its a secret :cool: dont tell anybody

That’s one of the thing I really like about SDI/TDI. No extra charge for e-cards. You don’t need to use an app for e-cards. They also now provide a pdf of the hard copy course manual when doing eLearning. Not sure if this is for all courses yet, though.
No fee from SSI either. And if you don't have a smartphone, you can even use the shop's computer to show them your cards. Now, the comment about issuing ecard does not cost a thing is damn wrong. It is not because there is no physical media that it is free. Software license or labour for example aren't free. I have 3 credit cards, 2 debit cards, my ID, my driving license, my professional badge that are essential on a daily basis. I don't even mention all those cards from stores or associations that my wife keeps and that I dump in the garbage bin instead of overloading my wallet. All those cards should be electronic. And if you lose your phone, you still have the card using any device with an access to internet.

Last I heard PADI charges something like $45-50 for an e-card. That’s crazy.

Last I heard PADI charges something like $45-50 for an e-card. That’s crazy.
Avarice is alive and well -- Pay Another Dollar In

I'm sure they've have had an experience in the past to implement this policy.
More likely they started this when there were no eCards and as a way to make sure you returned any rental gear. And since then they have never rethought it. "It is the way we've always done it."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom