Certification cards from various agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexdives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My open water card is NAUI and I have a Peak Performance Buoyancy card from PADI. Is the PADI card enough since you have to be open water certified to take that class or do I need to carry the NAUI card? The reason I ask is if I only need 1 card I will keep them separated in case I lose one

My open water card is NAUI and I have a Peak Performance Buoyancy card from PADI. Is the PADI card enough since you have to be open water certified to take that class or do I need to carry the NAUI card? The reason I ask is if I only need 1 card I will keep them separated in case I lose one

You can't carry the e-card version of the NAUI card in your phone?

Well, PPB PADI card means you did OW somewhere, so either card works. The agencies aren't particular when it comes to taking ""non-professional" continuing ed. courses. What course are you taking?

Did not know there was one! Looking now

Contact HQ at naui.org and they will sort you out. If any issues, just send me a PM.

I'm not an expert on the matter, but if your OW certified through NAUI, that's the card you need to show OW certification. If it's like PADI, you can be looked up by way of a student number in the event that you lost or forgot your card. The dive op can look you up to see that you are certified.

If the Peak Performance Buoyancy course is like other PADI courses, you would get a different student number on the certification card that shows only that you took the course - different student numbers for different courses. Although you may have to be OW certified to take the PPB course, the certification card does not show you are OW certified. I would carry the OW card (and take a picture of it) to be assured I get to dive.

Just my thoughts.

Strange things can happen.
I was refused nitrox because i showed my 100% oxygen card from my tech course.
The guy actually turned me down and said "that doesn't qualify you for Nitrox"
As you can imagine some discussions followed. It took the intervention of a much older experienced instructor to sort it. "Bloody zero to heros" was the phrase he used.

There’s a story that went around about a dive shop refusing to fill a nitrox cylinder when the diver showed his Trimix card. 🤪

IMO whenever possible show the card that the shop is expecting to see. Which for most shops will be OW, AOW, and nitrox (or equivalents). Showing anything else can result in confusion, there is a good chance that the check in person might not be a diver, let alone a professional diver familiar with the requirements for various other certifications available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom