Certification cards from various agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There’s a story that went around about a dive shop refusing to fill a nitrox cylinder when the diver showed his Trimix card. 🤪
There is a dispute about who wrote about it first on ScubaBoard. I believe it was @nwgratefuldiver. When told his trimix card did not qualify him for nitrox, he asked if he could get any trimix mix he wanted. Told that he could, he asked for 32/0 (For those who don't know, that's 0% helium and 32% oxygen.) That request apparently created a major AHA! moment for the shop employee.

There is a dispute about who wrote about it first on ScubaBoard. I believe it was @nwgratefuldiver. When told his trimix card did not qualify him for nitrox, he asked if he could get any trimix mix he wanted. Told that he could, he asked for 0/32. (For those who don't know, that's 0% helium and 32% oxygen.) That request apparently created a major AHA! moment for the shop employee.

Other way around, that mix would be... quite hypoxic.

I interpreted boulderjohn's 32/0 just as he explained it: 32% oxygen, 0% helium, and 68% nitrogen. So, why is it hypoxic?

I interpreted boulderjohn's 32/0 just as he explained it: 32% oxygen, 0% helium, and 68% nitrogen. So, why is it hypoxic?

Look at the quote. It was 0/32 as in 0% oxygen and 32% helium. Minor error typo error, just pointing it out with a little dry humor.

I looked at boulderjohn's response to DogDiver in which the gas was 32/0. The gas in Boulderjohn's quote in your response somehow got changed to 0/32. That's weird. Boulderjohn must have edited his response after you posted but before I responded.

For some strange reason I had a brain fart and mixed the order. It is normal to put the oxygen percentage first and then the helium. For some reason I switched it (and I teach this!). Yes, I explained the actual meaning in the text, but I did indeed screw it up, and I have no explanation or excuse for it. I interpreted all the responses to that as good natured (and deserved) ribbing, and I am not bothered.

For some strange reason I had a brain fart and mixed the order. It is normal to put the oxygen percentage first and then the helium. For some reason I switched it (and I teach this!). Yes, I explained the actual meaning in the text, but I did indeed screw it up, and I have no explanation or excuse for it. I interpreted all the responses to that as good natured (and deserved) ribbing, and I am not bothered.
And the good news is he admitted the error, changed it, and did not double down on something clearly incorrect with some specious argument about "there is no standard" and "you are all wrong and I am right" nonsense. Not that anyone would ever do that....

There’s a story that went around about a dive shop refusing to fill a nitrox cylinder when the diver showed his Trimix card. 🤪
That has happened to me as well. I'm sure it wasn't uncommon when trimix wasn't as broadly advertised outside of technical diving.

Fortunately, another employee arrived and resolved it before i left.

Back
Top Bottom