Central Texas Spearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moubike1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anyone has gone out spearfishing for tilapia in central Texas. I know some of the lakes are infested with them and since there is no limit it could make for a hell of a fish fry. I think I remember Lake Bastrop having quite a few.

Tilapia feed on waste when ever they can. In China the commercial farms feed them sewer water and they love it.
Sounds like the answer to a bunch of problems to me ... Except one.... How does a person season a Turd ?
I'm not really sure so I just spear the Sunfish. I'm quite sure they love to eat crap too but I've not actually seen people feed it to them intentionally so some how it makes them taste better.

As long as you are totin' a sharp point and jackin' up the flavorfull fish population get what ever you can take :wink:

A couple years ago there was a discussion at Texas State University about letting divers hunt tilapia in Spring Lake. Too bad nothing happened, I could feed a family every 15 minutes. You just have to know where to look and be there at the right time of day.

The blue tilapia prefer to feed at night and have the same food preference as bass. You can find them sleeping under the heads of coontail. Very easy pickings.

Personally, I don't hunt things I like to see underwater and I agree with Timeliner about a lot of farm raised fish/seafood. I make an exception regarding tilapia. An invasive species that happens to be good to eat.

My thoughts exactly. Tilapia are invasive and can cause problems with the native ecosystems. To each his own on food preferences but I feel that Tilapia makes great fish fry grub. Just don't eat chinese tilapia I guess. Have you seen what they feed to pigs? Or the inside of a commercial chicken facility? That is why wild/ free-range is always a better option. Not planning on hunting in chinese tilapia farm.

Tilapia feed on waste when ever they can. In China the commercial farms feed them sewer water and they love it.
Sounds like the answer to a bunch of problems to me ... Except one.... How does a person season a Turd ?
I'm not really sure so I just spear the Sunfish. I'm quite sure they love to eat crap too but I've not actually seen people feed it to them intentionally so some how it makes them taste better.

As long as you are totin' a sharp point and jackin' up the flavorfull fish population get what ever you can take :wink:

It’s not just in China!- I quit eating Tilapia after watching an episode of "Dirtiest Jobs"..
It is here it the USA too..

Last edited:
Not really related to the subject - other than it popped in my head because of it.

what are the regulations regarding spear fishing in texas lakes?

I have heard different rumors like:
It is prohibited in Lake Travis
Then I heard one of a guy doing it at the Damn for Tilapia and bring up a nice catch.

Is it different by lake?

Not really related to the subject - other than it popped in my head because of it.

what are the regulations regarding spear fishing in texas lakes?

I have heard different rumors like:
It is prohibited in Lake Travis
Then I heard one of a guy doing it at the Damn for Tilapia and bring up a nice catch.

Is it different by lake?

You can't spear game fish in Texas. That limits you to sunfish and tilapia in fresh water. The Travis restriction is probably a park restriction. Your best answers will come from Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | Welcome.

You can't spear game fish in Texas. That limits you to sunfish and tilapia in fresh water. The Travis restriction is probably a park restriction. Your best answers will come from Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | Welcome.

I thought even the perch were considered a game fish and not open to spearfishing. I thought we were stuck with things like carp, buffalo, gar, and drum.

A few years back there was a Tilapia spearing derby in the San Marcos River. This includes a report that plecos taste good, even if there isn't much meat. :D
Possible Tilapia Tournament - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

The LCRA regulates bowfishing in the highland lakes
LCRA Parks: Bowfishing Program

In Lk Travis TPWD says state regulations of species mngmnt apply. Fishing Lake Travis

And yes, Tx Parks and Wildlife says no spearing of game fish
TPWD: Legal Freshwater and Saltwater Devices and Restrictions for Fish

Game fish are listed at TWPD: Fishing Term Definitions

Game Fish (includes hybrids or subspecies of fish on this list):
* Bass: Guadalupe, largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, striped, white, yellow
* Catfish: blue, channel, flathead
* Cobia
* Crappie: black, white
* Mackerel: king, Spanish
* Marlin: blue, white
* Pickerel
* Red drum