"Central" East Coast Shore Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am pretty sure i have asked this before and i am also sure i got mixed views on the subject (even for a youngin my memory isnt so great). From what i read in the FL book and from searching on here there are shore dives in the Vero to Ft Pierce area. Has anyone dove these areas or know what they are like at this time of year? From what i hear the viz isnt always that great, there might be sharks and i cant be sure if there would be long shore currents as i dont know that stretch of water all that well - any ideas?

We are going through our cheap (read free if possible) options this coming weekend and its between the shore dives on the east coast or back down to the gulf again (assuming the winds stay east and viz stays ok) at either Venice or Bradenton (to check out Spainish Rocks - which we didnt hit, but thought we were given directions to this last weekend) or the state park springs (most likely Blue as its close and open again). As i have mentioned in other threads i am also trying to work my way through the FL book, so new dives are always a draw!

I am intruiged by the central east coast shore dives, and now the fronts are starting to die down and summer is on its way i was wondering if things would have improved there beyond lots of waves and zero viz.

Thanks again, Simon

Simbrook, check via e-mail with Cliff at Cliff@deepsix.com in Vero Beach for wave and vis conditions. He also has a full line shop and can arrange trips if needed. My experience is shore diving is limited due to rough surf and lack of vis. Mid July is the best time to dive there.

Simon,
Diving between Vero Beach & Ft Pierce can be great and terrible. It's very unpredictable. I've gone out there when it looked great, water was clear, and dropped down into a layer of silt just above the reef. Other times... it was bumpy and ugly looking... and had 10-15 vis with a lot of surge. I usually just take my chances...

Go check out http://www.deepsix.com and see what Cliff has to say.

reguarding shore diving in Vero At this time the vis is poor due to the storme BUT if you want to do a good shore dive I got a groop of good people were going to LAUDERDALE BY THE SEA!! The vis is good 90% of the time All are welcome..
Were leaving Palmbay about 6:00 AM.on the 25th.. Give me a E-mail scubadmike@netzero.net

We can forget about any beach diving for the next few days....seas are way up...Going to Paradise Springs tomorrow instead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom