cenotes water temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
coming down for thanksgiving, coz water temps at 80 or so, think the skin will work, with a hooded vest if needed after a few days.

we're doing one day in the mainland cenotes, can't for the life of me remember the water temps there. anyone know? hoping I can just use the skin/vest combo....

It's cooler than the Caribbean, that's for sure. We did Dos Ojos last July and I recall having 73 Oceanic degrees on my gauge. Bit chilly for a skin. I had a full 3mm on myself and that was OK but I got a little cool towards the end of the second dive. Your mileage may vary. Have fun.

Generally, the cenote are 75. The tour dives are short, generally about 30 to 40 minutes, and I was okay in a 3 mil wetsuit. I would have gotten cold in just a skin.

I was just in Mexico (beginning of October) and dove 4 different Cenotes - I dove a 3mil the 1st day but the 2nd day I put a 3mil shorty over the 3mil long was more comfortable - probably even just a 3mil and a hood would be do-able depending on how warm or cold you get diving in about 70ish water ... my next trip i'll take my 5/4/3mil for added comfort

I did the cenotes last year in October when we went to Riviera Maya. I was comfortable in a skin and a shortie, but I'm pretty warm natured.

The water temps won't change and are 25 degrees (77F) in the cenotes, I would suggest a 5mm if possible.

The water temp isn't the thing that will get you, but the ambient air temperature in between dives will chill you sufficiently to make the 2nd uncomfortable.

You maybe lucky and it be warm, but conversely, you may come during a Norte (northerly weather system), as we've had this week, and then it can get pretty cold.

Most of my dives are in a spring fed lake that is a constant 72 degrees. Roughly the same temp as the cenotes. You can get by with a 3mm, but I dive a 5mm.

Thanks all. Looks like I'll be bringing my old 5 mil.

As Orm said, 5 mm is suggested, mostly because of the air temperature during this season. it gets cold between dives. If possible bring a hood as well. Cenote water temperature is 77 F all year round.
Enjoy the cenotes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom