Cenotes near Tulum/Playa: The Pit vs Angelita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turkeyphant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have only one more diving day left and want to do one of the deeper cenotes in the area. Can anyone who has dived both share some preferences and comments?

What's the main pros/cons between Angelita and The Pit for a single dive?

I'm interested in sulphur clouds, haloclines, interesting light beams and caverns. I've seen a lot of bones and air pockets in other cenotes.

Have done both. Typical dive for The Pit is down clockwise behind a rock wall. Expect a depth there of 120 feet. Will rise up to a beautiful viewing spot that looks all the way across to the area you entered from. You get the full view of the openess of the space. Not likely will you enter the H2S layer. That would be a different dive unless you are diving two tanks either side-mount or back mount. Expect a guy to lower and raise your tank from ground level to the water surface. Have some tip money. They do not want you to take tanks down to the water level. Not enough room for that. Angelita is a great dive also. You can swim around the debris field/mound of dirt and trees. Your guide may take you below into the H2S or you could do that for maybe 3-4 feet down . Problem would be visibility in the H2S. Small swim thru at about 35 feet if I remember correctly.

You should be able to do both dives in a day.

A photographer friend of mine, Tom St George...
Tom St George - Underwater Photography
First picture on his website - Angtilita with the mound of dirt and trees.
Second picture is The Pit

If you do these dives - would great if you posted your thought on the dives.

Enjoy

Thanks for the comments. I don't have a full day so unfortunately it's one or the other.

I've got Hells Bells as another option too but am leaning toward The Pit at the moment.

I have dove both and while I enjoyed each of them I would recommend doing The Pit if you are only able to do one. Personal preference and you can’t go wrong with either tbh. Enjoy your trip!

If you can only do one, my vote is for The Pit. Not to take anything away from Angelita, it’s just more impressive IMO.

Back
Top Bottom