Cenotes day trip worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool! Thanks for the replies! My daughter is a newer diver, but already has 3 night dives, Sheraton Caverns Kauai, and Cathedrals Lanai under her belt so buoyancy, darkness and overheads don't bother her.

We dive in California so 54 is the normal temp with our 7mm suits. We're taking full 2/3 suits for our Coz dives - hope that will be warm enough for the Cenotes. Maybe we should put a shortie over the top for the day?

Sounds like a blast - we'll have to decide when to do it - shallow dive and fresh water rinse makes a lot of sense before flying out the next day!

BA said Mateo would take us over, and we arrange that with him while we're there. If he likes the Dead, it must be good right! Wonder if we can entice him ($$$) to make a quick stop by the ruins on the way back?!?!

Caves, reef, wrecks, fish, kelp - it doesn't matter to me, it's all better than working!!!

Another big YES vote from me.
Last time I did it from Coz, Dennis from Diablo Divers met us on the ferry dock, straight to his truck, and an awesome day diving the cenotes & having lunch (after we dropped my wife at the Av-Spa Palace). He's a great guide, and a really nice guy.

Cool! Wonder if we can entice him ($$$) to make a quick stop by the ruins on the way back?!?!
Last Tulum trip I did fine without seeing the ruins again, but I was totally bummed that Paco's Tacos was closed for the day:( Thanks to Dennis for another craving...

For me, a 3/2 full & a beanie are good for up to 3 cenote dives/day.

Have fun!

Last Tulum trip I did fine without seeing the ruins again, but I was totally bummed that Paco's Tacos was closed for the day:( Thanks to Dennis for another craving...

Well, never having been to Tulum, thought we'd try and check it out (history lesson for my daughter who will be missing two days of high school for this trip) now it sounds like Paco's must make the day list too!

You need to figure it will take 2-2 1/2 hours. Tulum is further south than most of the cenotes you will likely be diving in by about 20-30 minutes. Then figure a hour for the tour of the site. Be sure to pay for the trolley ride from the parking lot and to bring plenty of water. The sun is extremely brutal in the afternoon. If you go on a Sunday there is no admission fee.

I also like the idea of spending an evening in PDC on 5th Ave. You can park your gear at the ferry terminal and there are also lockers for rent at the bus station on the second floor. If you miss Paco's, El Oasis, Calle 12 between 5th and 10th Ave, has very good shrimp tacos. Pizza Pazza has some excellent pizza by the slice.

The cenote dives are fairly short; a 3 mil suit should be fine, but if you have a hood or vest to add, it will be a little better, I think. Water temperature is a fairly predictable 75 degrees.

BA said Mateo would take us over, and we arrange that with him while we're there. If he likes the Dead, it must be good right! Wonder if we can entice him ($$$) to make a quick stop by the ruins on the way back?!?!

Caves, reef, wrecks, fish, kelp - it doesn't matter to me, it's all better than working!!!

I contacted BA as well. I'm sure you probably got the same type of response I did. I think my wife and I are going to do the same thing and dive it the last day. You'll have to let me know how the "enticing" goes.

We dive in California so 54 is the normal temp with our 7mm suits. We're taking full 2/3 suits for our Coz dives - hope that will be warm enough for the Cenotes. Maybe we should put a shortie over the top for the day?

I dove the Ponderosa and Taj Mahal cenotes this past January and just checked my dive log ... water temp on both was 75 degrees. I wore a 3mm full suit, no hood or gloves and was very comfortable, but I am used to cold fresh water diving in my part of the US.

Yes on the cenotes - and a yes on Mateo, too! Haven't been lucky enough to dive the cenotes with him, but every dive I've done with him has been a great time. He's charming and entertaining, as well as a consummate diver and guide.

When I dived the cenotes, we took time as soon as we got in the water to fine-tune everyone's buoyancy before we ever entered the overhead environment. Someone I'd watched swim fins-low all week was adjusted to horizontal trim and had no issues at all.
I wore a 3 mil full suit, too, and was perfectly comfortable.

The dives were beautiful and exciting. I'll be doing the cenotes again - if I can ever get off Cozumel once I get there!!
(Took me four years to finally go see the tiburon ballena - found a one-day trip...)

Don't forget your camera, if you can control it and your buoyancy at the same time. There's no reef to lie on. :cool2:

Don't forget your camera, if you can control it and your buoyancy at the same time. There's no reef to lie on. :cool2:

Um - camera or no, I try not to make a habit of laying on reefs...not good for me, and really bad for the reef...:cool2:, but thanks for the advice!! I'll have everyone practice their frog kicks and helicopter turns ahead of time!

I didn't realize that Tulum proper was that far from the cenotes. Sounds like it's a separate adventure. Just another reason for a return trip!

The Cenotes are a great time. Did them for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. Bring a camera! Lots of great photo ops. Cannot say enough about this experience...really cool. A great break from reef diving, it will really show you a different perspective. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom