Cenote Xulo to Caterpilla Traverse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Last weekend I finally made it to Cenote Xulo which part of Sistema Caterpillar. Beautiful cave, it was my first time diving this system. The facilities and property are well kept and maintained which is nice. The owner (I think) seemed friendly. Easy access road, bathroom/changing room and a few benches. 300 pesos (17USD) entrance fee.

My buddy and I did the Cenote Xulo to Caterpillar Traverse and we did the end of the mainline from Xulo which is short but is really fun where it gets smaller.

Last weekend I finally made it to Cenote Xulo which part of Sistema Caterpillar. Beautiful cave, it was my first time diving this system. The facilities and property are well kept and maintained which is nice. The owner (I think) seemed friendly. Easy access road, bathroom/changing room and a few benches. 300 pesos (17USD) entrance fee.

My buddy and I did the Cenote Xulo to Caterpillar Traverse and we did the end of the mainline from Xulo which is short but is really fun where it gets smaller.

Awesome video! Just got back from the area and I'm looking to go back and do that traverse sooner than later. How long is the swim from Xulo to Caterpillar? Noticed you had two stages...would it be possible to do with one stage for a guy that has pretty average air consumption?

Awesome video! Just got back from the area and I'm looking to go back and do that traverse sooner than later. How long is the swim from Xulo to Caterpillar? Noticed you had two stages...would it be possible to do with one stage for a guy that has pretty average air consumption?

It can definitely be done with only a single stage if you have good gas consumption. We only took 2 stages because we wanted to spend a bit more time on the Caterpillar side without having to leave a vehicle there. I guess there have been break-ins at Caterpillar so I didnt want to deal with that. I'll see if I can check my wetnotes but I believe @Norwegian Cave Diver is correct. It was about ~85-90 minutes one way.

Jump to Caterpillar is around 13-15 minutes and is marked. There are no more Ts in the traverse anymore (unless that is changed recently). I wish I took better notes but I know I wrote some timings and gas consumption down in a wetnote page somewhere. I've done the traverse 5 times now; 3 with double stages and 2 times were single stage dives.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom