Lessons Minor Cenote Incident - Lessons to be Learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve seen new divers try to get themselves killed in a quarry due to poor training and lack of attention.

There’s no way new divers should be in an overhead environment, even if it is “cavern”.

And there were sections of Chac Mool I definitely felt were dark enough they stretched the definition of cavern diving. Especially the section leading to the air dome.

FWIW - I'm not very familiar with the cave diving community in general nor the various agencies in Mexico. I made an incorrect assumption that CREER was not an actual certifying agency but functioned more like an advisory group recommending best practices.
Yeah so they are not like PADI or TDI, you don't need anything from them if you just want to come and dive MX caves (assuming certified etc).

But, they are trying to give more structure for MX cave diving like publishing best practices, guidelines, maintaining the lines etc. They also try to popularize "visitor cave pass" Cave Pass – CREER with one of the ideas being to take off any potential liability from the cenote owners by having a "local" document saying that such and such is a trained cave diver, he knows the risks etc. So if someone does drown, the owners won't get hammered by the police and decide to shut down their cenote for all cave divers.

Again, you aren't required to have that cave pass at all. Its still something creer is working with cenote owners to adopt. Maybe @Lanny knows how widely used is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom